keyboard not working in safe mode, stuck. Windows 8.1

ohmandy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
My keyboard and mouse were not working on my Toshiba laptop. I read to try safe mode, so I did using F8. Now I am in safe mode and the keyboard and mouse still aren't working and neither is F2 or F8.

JarlGranty

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Is there any option to switch the BIOS on the keyboard? If not, then try attaching an external keyboard/mouse and make sure that you have the proper drivers installed on your system to allow the peripherals to function

ohmandy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I think the issue is the drivers.I don't have an external keyboard. I was able to get to the bios menu before safe mode (the keyboard worked there) but now it goes straight to the safe mode start screen.

As one said, check the bios to make sure the usb devices are enabled. It could also be the usb port you plugged in. For example, usb3 ports may not be enabled in safe mode, but usb1 and 2 are.

To turn off a computer that is safe mode (no keyboard or mouse) just press the power button, the computer should turn itself off. If not hold in the power button for 7 seconds. and it will force it to turn off.

opps. i just reread and see it's a laptop (sorry), it should already be enabled after all, it's hardwired. laptops make it tricky, the power button is probably for hibernating and NOT turning it off.

To get into the bios:
Toshiba 335 CDS: ESC
Toshiba Protege: ESC
Toshiba Satellite 205 CDS: F1
Toshiba Tecra: ESC then F1 or F2

Toshiba Notebook [Newer models]:
Turn on the computer by holding down the power button while pressing the ESC key
The machine will beep, then display:
Check System, then press [F1] key.
Release the ESC key
Press the F1 key

If the keyboard is not working in bios, that's a problem. In that case, you need an external keyboard. (aka there is a problem with the on-board keyboard). If it works in bios, in theory it should work in safe mode, unless the drivers are not being loaded somehow. Again try an external keyboard.

NOTE: since you are stuck in safe mode, try the external keyboard trick. it should load the drivers even in safe mode and allow you to reboot.

ohmandy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I tried the other keys when turning it on, nothing. I tried attaching an external keyboard, it did the same thing as the laptop keyboard, lit up at first then stopped working. It does say hibernating right before the start screen. The keyboard worked in bios and the F8 screen.