Keyboard number keys not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Nye

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hello, so i have an interesting problem. my keyboard's number keys on the top row sometimes do not work except for the 5 and 6 key. so i unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it worked!... for all of 2 minutes. anyone know what the problem is?

Do u have any of that? USB error device manager issue?

usb-unknown-device.jpg

jsph7501

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

sounds like a short did you get it wet?if so try blow dryer if still wont work right you may need a new keyboard.sorry

ObseloV

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

I periodically have the same problem, infrequently, but about three times a month. It only occurs when I've been a way for at least a short period of time, allowing the computer to switch off the screen, but it doesn't always happen when Windows sleeps. I wake the computer, and then the top keys one through four, seven through zero don't have an effect, nor their SHIFT+counterparts. I suspect that some of the F keys don't work either, nor does my End key. Numeric keypad still works.

During this time, one odd thing that seems to happen, if I happen to press tilde (~), the one key, and the two key simultaneously, then the application help box pops up, as if I had pressed they F1 key. I can't seem to raise the application help box on other Windows 7 computers where their keyboards still react normally, using the same key sequence.

Reboot does correct the problem.

I feel that the keyboard mode on the computer is not in regular mode any more almost like what the Function key on laptop keyboards is used for. But that's just an impression.

Just wanted to add more information, seeing that I have the same symptoms as Bill Nye.

jamesburrell2

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Bill, I have the exact same problem. Only the "5" & "6" keys work. Obviously, you and I couldn't have spilled coffee on our respective computers the same way. I'm using a Lenono ThinkPad T410 (Using the On-Screen keyboard to access the other numbers) running Windows 7 Ultimate. Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks, James

brentles

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem, 5 and 6 key do work, but the others do not, yet sometimes the other numbers will come back on, but only for a short time; have you managed to find a fix?

swangtal

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
The same problem just happened to me on a desktop PC. I was typing away just fine, then suddenly my keyboard just stopped working.

Luckily I have some spare keyboards lying around, so I just plug that one in, and suddenly it is working again. At least there's a rather expensive workaround for it..(which is to have a ton of spare keyboards).

dushankw

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Mine top numbers and FN key wont work either. Keyboard is new, at first they were working just fine, but then they started stopping. Numbers and FN buttons were working when I pressed F6 and NumLock at the same time, but now that won't work either. Drivers are updated and there are no problems in Device Manager. Can anyone help me ???

zen3k

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I have a g15 computer with the same issues. my keys are "3" "4" "I" "Right-Shift Only" and a couple others.

steps taken to try and correct the issue

1. reboot (Not solved)

2. Uninstalled/Installed latest Drivers (Not Solved)

3. Swapped USB Ports (not solved)

4. Tried Keyboard in different computers/laptops (Keyboard works perfectly fine, just not on my computer :( )

5. Updated windows with latest updates (nada)

6. CCleaner, couple others (nada)

6a. Also ran Malwarebytes, lots of other antivirus, trojan, malware programs nothing came up.

7. couple other things like searching the internet, etc all forums tell person to buy new keyboard but i know its not the keyboard cause my sons computer is doing the same thing.

please help if you can. Its driving me nuts. oh btw there is one thing that i can do to get it to work for a little while. if i hold down one of the above mentioned keys for a while (anywhere from 5 to 60 seconds) it will start working...for a short while anyway.

Jerem554

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

:eek: IT WORKED! My USB port was all dusty inside an stuff! So for anyone who needs any help... Just switch USB ports and when you do that before you plug anythign back in... Just blow in it to get some dust out and you should be fine if it doesn't work sorry :(

peterparker220

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I'm posting this just because it drove me nuts.

I second the above poster. I'm running a Mac --- operating system: something ancient (from the office).

Numbers 1-4 and 7-0 didn't work (5 and 6 did). Odd coincidence, no? REALLY makes you think it's a hardware problem.

Anyway, changing the USB port (not on the keyboard, but inputting into the monitor) did the trick. Works fine now.

empeexxx

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

I have the same problem. I'm using Lenovo Ideapad Z370 and only number keys 5 and 6 are working. I'm using my on-screen keyboard but it's such a hassle. Have you found any solutions yet? Please do post. Thank you!

Ian Gonzalez

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Same exact problem, 5 and 6 works, 1234,7890 do not. Cleaned all USB ports, switch wireless receiver on different USB ports, doesn't work either.

I have a Windows 7 64bit, it suddenly just stopped working. I'm using a Wireless mouse and keyboard combo, everything else works fine except for keys 1-4, 7-0. I got an asus g74jh laptop.

setantaa

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Hi I have a similar problem, my number keys do not work except for the 5,6 keys but as well as that neither of my shift keys work nor do my left, right and down keys.
This started a few months ago with the shift keys going down but returning now and again and then a few letters also went but returned soon after. Now all letters work but the above keys do not at all. Very frustrating when trying to do pretty much anything.
I'm using a DELL note book laptop that's about three years old with windows seven.

ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED thanks

kiksteyn

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
you might be using the wrong keyboard configuration. Go to the control panel, open the region and language window. Then go the keyboards and languages tab and click change keyboards. After that another window pops up, under the general tab press the Add... button and choose the appropriate keyboard, then delete your old one.

I'm not certain that it will work but everything is worth a shot, right!

Jeff Soloman

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Seems I have the same problem as everyone else, since only 5 and 6 work for me. I'm not exactly sure if there's a free solution out there, but one would be nice.

My problem started around a few months ago when I admit to spilling my drink on the lower half of my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. It only really bothered my touchpad in this for a few weeks before it started to behave again. Amazingly, the drink did not get on my keys, since they are not sticky to press or to the touch. For that, I'm grateful.

However, since the number keys are failing on me, and this is a growing problem for most, I kinda want to know a solution that won't cost me money. It's kinda tight for me, so I can't promise anything.

Anyway, I hope to hear from you guys, and I look forward to an answer.

Jeff.

Jeff Soloman

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

True enough. If anything, I have the On-Screen Keyboard to work with until I get a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.