Keyboard opening certain programs by pressing certain keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeJourney

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
So I was cleaning my keyboard and pressing a ton of keys, I find out afterwards that certain keys are acting odd. CTRL is switching my tab in Opera, B keeps opening Windows Media player, and ~ opens the calculator.

I have a logitech k120 for reference, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

What you did is get a key or two or more stuck on the keyboard when you were cleaning. Go over the keyboard, make sure all the keys are feeling normal when you press on them Since you already fixed some by moving the keys around, you should have figured out what happened from that and tested the keys to see if any were still stuck. You also may have turned on some sort of sticky key option on the keyboard or in Windows.

Another option is that you damaged a key while cleaning it and not it's in stuck mode permanently.

Colif

Win 11 Master
generally helps to turn PC off before cleaning input devices, Never know what key combos will do. there is one key combo that turns all keys except the number keys off - never worked that one out.

Your kb has no software so its not a macro or anything

Ctrl tab moves between tabs in opera, you sure your tab key not stuck in? http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/06/opera-30-modifies-operas-tab-switching-behavior/
you may also have sticky keys turned on as that can happen accidentally

follow this to see if there is a shortcut key set for B: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310417
Perhaps also check above for ~

StrangeJourney

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
This will sound a bit absurd but I managed to get b, ~ and 0 to stop by well, doing what caused them in the first place, running across the keyboard pressing a large amount of buttons. However Left Ctrl is still switching tabs, another thing to note is right ctrl and the ''two'' (number) key switches to the second tab, but if you're on the second tab, do nothing.

Colif

Win 11 Master

What you did is get a key or two or more stuck on the keyboard when you were cleaning. Go over the keyboard, make sure all the keys are feeling normal when you press on them Since you already fixed some by moving the keys around, you should have figured out what happened from that and tested the keys to see if any were still stuck. You also may have turned on some sort of sticky key option on the keyboard or in Windows.

Another option is that you damaged a key while cleaning it and not it's in stuck mode permanently.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.