Keyboard Problem with Inspiron

terry

Hi,

I am having trouble with the keyboard of an Inspiron 3800. From time to
time, a few keys, including 8, i, k, and , do work. If you plugin an
external keyboard, I can type from the external keyboard without
problem. Then after unplugging the external keyboard, the laptop's
keyboard starts working fine for all keys. But after a while, it acts
up again.

Anyone experienced this before? Thanks in advance!

Terry

it is a pretty common problem with the i3800. look at the service manual on
support.dell.com for instruction on how to replace the keyboard. if you
simply disconnect and then reconnect yours the problem seems to go away, but
may come back in time... a replacement keyboard might help too, but it is
probably just a problem with the connection of the keyboard ribbon cable and
the motherboard.

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@yah00.c0m> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with the keyboard of an Inspiron 3800. From time to
> time, a few keys, including 8, i, k, and , do work. If you plugin an
> external keyboard, I can type from the external keyboard without
> problem. Then after unplugging the external keyboard, the laptop's
> keyboard starts working fine for all keys. But after a while, it acts
> up again.
>
> Anyone experienced this before? Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

There is a problem with the design of the keyboard cable where it crosses
over the top of the metal shield that shields the processor. Go to
www.support.dell.com and look at the community forums for inspiron. under
the general hardware heading search for 3800 keyboard and you will see that
it is a common problem for the cable to rub the corner ofthe shield. You
may be able to put some electrical tape between the cable and the shield and
get your working ok again.

Bill

"Terry" <gobeyondgobeyond@yah00.c0m> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with the keyboard of an Inspiron 3800. From time to
> time, a few keys, including 8, i, k, and , do work. If you plugin an
> external keyboard, I can type from the external keyboard without
> problem. Then after unplugging the external keyboard, the laptop's
> keyboard starts working fine for all keys. But after a while, it acts
> up again.
>
> Anyone experienced this before? Thanks in advance!
>
> Terry

TRENDING THREADS