notaposer302

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2004
alright, when i start my computer my keyboard will work in bios but when the windows screen appears it freezes, cant even hit the "lock" keys, its just in a frozen state. i had a cordless usb keyboard but it broke so i switched it to a ps/2 keyboard...and i have tried two ps/2 keyboards, no go...any help???

iris5u

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
I think a little bit of basic troubleshooting is in order. Go to: My Computer>Control Panel>System>Keyboard & see if there's a yellow exclamation-point next to the KB icon. If there is, the standard KB drivers may have gotten hosed by the USB KB drivers. You'll probably have to reinstall the standard KB drivers. But first, also go to the Add/Remove Hardware wizard & uninstall the USB keyboard,& do a reboot. If you're lucky that may fix the PS/2 KB issue. If not, reinstall your PS/2 KB drivers & do a reboot.

<A HREF="mailto:iris5u@attglobal.net">iris5u@attglobal.net</A>

metatrophia

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004
are you sure this specifically a keyboard problem? often times, when windows itself is generating problems you can operate fine while in BIOS but as soon as your desktop loads bad things happen. why dont you try booting to safe mode once and see what happens. [oh, and while in safe mode...why not check out device manager like the other fellow said :) ]