[SOLVED] Keyboard randomly died. Will turn on on lock screen, dies after any button press.

Sep 29, 2019
Ive had a Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S for a few years and have really liked it. Yesterday it seemingly just died when I was out the house. Now it only turns on randomly when my pc is on, and will turn itself back off as well.

I dont think its the USB cable, other ones don’t change anything. I don’t see how it can be hardware failure as it was just left on. Is there anyway this is some kind of driver issue or something.

It makes the USB connected, then disconneced noise like it has been plugged in and unplugged quickly, if that helps :)

Anyone got any ideas?

Solution
Reinstall the drivers as applicable.

Run the built-in Windows troubleshooters - the troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Have you tried the Pro S on another computer or another keyboard on your computer?

Determine if the problem follows the keyboard or stays with your computer.

Did you try other USB ports?

Three things you can do:

First, spread out a cloth or paper towel. Disconnect the keyboard and hold it upside down over the cloth. Gently but firmly type the ends and sides of the keyboard with the heel of your hand. Likely lots of gunk will fall out.

Second, while the keyboard is plugged in hold down a letter key and then wiggle and twisted the USB cable from end to end with special attention to entry point into the...

Ralston18

Titan
Reinstall the drivers as applicable.

Run the built-in Windows troubleshooters - the troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Have you tried the Pro S on another computer or another keyboard on your computer?

Determine if the problem follows the keyboard or stays with your computer.

Did you try other USB ports?

Three things you can do:

First, spread out a cloth or paper towel. Disconnect the keyboard and hold it upside down over the cloth. Gently but firmly type the ends and sides of the keyboard with the heel of your hand. Likely lots of gunk will fall out.

Second, while the keyboard is plugged in hold down a letter key and then wiggle and twisted the USB cable from end to end with special attention to entry point into the keyboard and the USB plug connecting the keyboard to the computer. You may find a spot where the connect and disconnect sounds start occurring. That would indicate a broken but touching (sometimes) wire in the cable.

Third, try using a USB extension cable between the keyboard's USB plug and the computer's USB port(s). A different USB plug may fit better into the computer's USB port. Especially if the keyboard's plug has become a bit twisted, squashed, bent, etc.

Solution