Question Keyboard recommendation for a user with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Elkattio

Distinguished
May 27, 2016
As is probably obvious by the title of this thread, I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and will eventually need surgery on both hands as it is only getting worse despite exercises, medicine, and braces. I've been in the market for a new keyboard for several months, but have been unwilling to pay a premium price for a keyboard that may cause me pain. Last week, I took the plunge and purchased the Logitech Ergo. It took me a few hours to get used to it, but I was soon typing faster than ever, with very few errors. However, that night, I was awakened in the middle of the night by both hands hurting worse than ever. I immediately went back to my old keyboard the next day, but the damage had already been done and it was nearly impossible to type.

I chose to exchange the Ergo for Logitech's MX Keys, which is an infinitely nicer keyboard than I've ever used. However, it is smaller than a standard full-sized keyboard, which in turn, causes problems for my carpal tunnel. My fingers are tingling while typing this up.

I do not know what to do. My old keyboard is a wreck and is running on it's last leg. I still have the Ergo sitting nex to me, and I'm typing on the MX Keys. I need help. I'm an amateur novelist and I've got writing to do, but not at the expense of further damaging my hands. Any help/recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, the Logitech Wave is a no go as it is too large and laggy.

Elkattio

Distinguished
May 27, 2016
My recommendation is to see a doctor.

Get a proper diagnosis followed by an applicable treatment.

Especially if the condition may be getting worse.

Just my thoughts on the matter.,

I have seen a doctor, received a diagnosis of carpal tunnel in both hands, and am visiting every 6 months for updates and such. We're trying to avoid surgery, but based upon the pain I'm experiencing right now, I believe that is the next step.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately the only way to find a suitable keyboard is try out as many keyboards as you can. Hopefully you will find a keyboard that causes minimal pain and discomfort.

Key is to continually work with the doctor to discover what particular positioning of arms, wrists, and fingers will be most appropriate for the specific details of your condition.

And start experimenting with voice to text software and hardware. Not the same as typing but anything you can do to save keystrokes and your hands will likely be a good thing.

Reactions: Elkattio