Question Keyboard recommendation

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Broke my space bar, don't really feel like fixing it (A very old Logitech G510, was a gift). Time to move on. Looking for mechanical keyboard suggestions, would be my first.

1. Full keyboard, ie no ten-key-less designs.
  2. Would like to try mechanical, but I would also like it to be on the silent side.
  3. Don't really have access to a decent computer store to try out various keyboards, just a local Best Buy with poor selections.
  4. RGB Optional, backlight okay, blue or white if it has to have it.
  5. For reference I use an old Steel Case Sensei mouse, the original model. Doesn't really match anything else, but it does have RGB.
  6. I am not looking to replace the G510 screen function, or programmable keys, though that was neat back when it worked, could have my CPU temps there.

Only other thing, which may be hard to fulfill, I kind of like having extra space between the right hand arrow keys and the next closest keys. But I'm pretty sure that is a feature of yesteryear.

Probably want to keep it under $150, but willing to pay more with the right recommendation.

I've shopped around, but I don't know much about them and all the reviews seem to be straight up advertisements pulled directly from the manufacturer's websites.

I've used a couple of keyboards so far, my honest opinion:

• don't use anything that comes with some software that needs to be installed. it's mostly buggy.
  • don't use anything that is advertised as gamer gear
  • backlightning is a nice feature but not a must-have
  • imho apart from laptop-style keyboards a mechanical keyboard isn't much louder than a regular standard rubberdome one, it just has a different noise profile

personally I'd look at:
  • Das Keyboard IV Pro / root (=a pro with braided cable) / Prime (=a pro without USB-passthrough but with white backlight)
  • Ducky One / Ducky One II (any Ducky really, but those are the cheaper ones. Got a Year of the Monkey at work, the One is available with and without backlighting, with keycaps in classical or crazy colours)
  • Cooler Master Masterkeys L
  • Cherry MX Board 1.0

those boards come with decent quality and are plug&play. and in my personal opinion aren't hidious.

as for switches that's a bit tougher. Black & Blue are a bit louder and heavier. Brown switches imho got the best feeling. Red & Silver switches are the fastest, linear, imho a bit too light though. but that's subjective. Overall most people I know feel the most comfortable with browns.
there is a silent variant of the mx red switches that for example the Cherry board offers. but I don't think that's really necessary (and I got a silent case + a custom loop bcs I like silence)

Broke my space bar, don't really feel like fixing it (A very old Logitech G510, was a gift). Time to move on. Looking for mechanical keyboard suggestions, would be my first.

1. Full keyboard, ie no ten-key-less designs.
  2. Would like to try mechanical, but I would also like it to be on the silent side.
  3. Don't really have access to a decent computer store to try out various keyboards, just a local Best Buy with poor selections.
  4. RGB Optional, backlight okay, blue or white if it has to have it.
  5. For reference I use an old Steel Case Sensei mouse, the original model. Doesn't really match anything else, but it does have RGB.
  6. I am not looking to replace the G510 screen function, or programmable keys, though that was neat back when it worked, could have my CPU temps there.
Only other thing, which may be hard to fulfill, I kind of like having extra space between the right hand arrow keys and the next closest keys. But I'm pretty sure that is a feature of yesteryear.

Probably want to keep it under $150, but willing to pay more with the right recommendation.

I've shopped around, but I don't know much about them and all the reviews seem to be straight up advertisements pulled directly from the manufacturer's websites.

Compared to other computer stores I think Best Buy actually has the best sample of keyboards and mice on display. I've been to several and to a few Microcenters and the Microcetners I have visited did not have any of their gaming class gear on display outside of headphones.

For a quieter keyboard, the MX Silent switches are good, they have a softer feel and shallower travel distance then almost every other mechanical switch. Corsrair has at least one model with those and they go on sale at times. I think mine was about $110 or 120 when it was on sale from 140.

If you want a bit more firmer feel then MX Brown or MX Red are nice, Brown is my favorite over those two. I also like the Kailh Silver Speed switches, the are smooth feeling and are a bit quieter than the MX ones. You can also kill some noise and bottom out distance with o-rings for cheap.

Qyndryx

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
Ducky are probably one of the best keyboard brands out there. They don't have the ridiculous gamer aesthetic and their build quality is superb. If you don't like any that you see, some other options would be Filco, Leopold or Cooler Master. As far as switches go, Browns will most likely suit you best.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Compared to other computer stores I think Best Buy actually has the best sample of keyboards and mice on display. I've been to several and to a few Microcenters and the Microcetners I have visited did not have any of their gaming class gear on display outside of headphones.

I don't live in a huge city, so our Best Buy, formerly a Circuit City (formerly some grocery store, foods plus I think), weirdly doesn't cater to a lot of PC hardware. They have a pretty limited selection. Which is more then they used to have for sure, this resurgence in PC gaming has certainly helped. I think they mostly profit from TV and appliance sales and installation.

They do have one of those key samples, but they don't have that many keyboards. I've thought of taking a trip to a Microcenter or Fry's, not too terribly far, to get a better idea.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
These recommendations are certainly helping me narrow it down. Wasn't aware of a few of those companies and I will certainly look into them.

Not super critical, keyboard still works, just the space bar is lopsided a bit. Would be relatively easy to fix, but I want to say it is 11 or 12 years old.

These recommendations are certainly helping me narrow it down. Wasn't aware of a few of those companies and I will certainly look into them.

Not super critical, keyboard still works, just the space bar is lopsided a bit. Would be relatively easy to fix, but I want to say it is 11 or 12 years old.

That's good enough to talk yourself into treating yourself to a nice new keyboard LOL

"Honey, I think when I hit 23 keys at once the keyboard has a bug in it, I need to go buy a new one, back soon" LOL

You won't find a lot of those companies in stores to look at or try, I don't think I have seen anything outside of the major gaming brands on display, Corsiar, HyperX, Logitech, Razer, Cooler Master. Any of the other ones are a lot harder to find but there are plenty of web sites that sell them.