[SOLVED] Keyboard recommendation

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
Hi all,

Been searching for a kb for quite a while, and I think I need some help deciding which one to go for.
my needs are:
  1. a quiet keyboard - I have a baby sleeping in the next room
  2. a full set - including Numpad, not the 60% or so
  3. most of my time I'm either gaming or coding, so I need something that would fit both.
  4. price - is it feasible to find a suitable kb with all these req for 50$ or under 80$?

Mechanical if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
1, 2, and 4 at the same time is a bit difficult (3 doesn't really work since I've never heard of any such thing as a gaming vs. coding keyboard).

If you really need silent, then you're going to want something with linear switches and reduced friction points, which means Cherry MX Silent Red or Black. Unfortunately, I can't find (or remember seeing) anything with these switches or similar ones at this price.

If the price is a sticking point, it might make sense to buy one with knockoff switches from somewhere with a good return policy, like Amazon. As cheap knockoffs go, many people find Redragon mouse/keyboards and the faux-Cherry Outemu switches they use at least acceptable...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
1, 2, and 4 at the same time is a bit difficult (3 doesn't really work since I've never heard of any such thing as a gaming vs. coding keyboard).

If you really need silent, then you're going to want something with linear switches and reduced friction points, which means Cherry MX Silent Red or Black. Unfortunately, I can't find (or remember seeing) anything with these switches or similar ones at this price.

If the price is a sticking point, it might make sense to buy one with knockoff switches from somewhere with a good return policy, like Amazon. As cheap knockoffs go, many people find Redragon mouse/keyboards and the faux-Cherry Outemu switches they use at least acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Keyboard-Keys-Linear-Quiet-Red/dp/B07KCRTN9Q

Solution