[SOLVED] Keyboard registering duplicate keystrokes when connected to a USB hub

Sep 6, 2020
Hello,

I am posting for the first time on this forum. Before stating the problem, I'll explain my work-from-home setup. I frequently switch between personal (Dell XPS 15 9570) & work laptop (Dell Latitude 7390) so I recently bought a USB Type C hub to make this switching easy. I've hooked my peripherals to a hub. A single USB-C cable goes into either of my laptops depending on my needs.

The peripherals I use are:
a) Dell - Full HD monitor (1080p @ 60Hz)
b) HyperX Alloy Mechanical Keyboard - Wired (USB 2.0)
c) Logitech MX Master 3 mouse (Wireless)
d) USB Type C Hub (Belkin Model No. - F4U092btSGY)

Problem - The mechanical keyboard randomly registers duplicate keystrokes. This happens across many keys so it's unlikely that its a mech. switch problem. Also, it happens only when I connect the keyboard via the hub - it works just fine when I directly hook it up to either of my laptops. Sometimes the keystrokes are dropped or registered very late. This also happens when I connect the mouse using a bluetooth dongle. I've tried reinstalling keyboard drivers on both laptops but it didn't help. A replacement USB hub didn't solve the problem either.

Seeking advise on what might be wrong.

D

Deleted member 14196

What you want is a KVM switch not a USB hub. I’ll tell you right now that you will never find a current solution with what you’re working with. USB hub is not meant to be used as a KVM switch

Sep 6, 2020
It's advisable to plug keyboards and mice directly in to the host PC.

Thanks Phillip for the advise. Belkin has officially advertised that the hub can support a USB keyboard and mouse. That's the only reason I bought the hub. Would you suggest going for an OEM docking station from Dell? Perhaps that might solve the problem? It's considerably more expensive though.

D

Deleted member 14196

Not really just get a good quality one don’t buy the cheapest one. You are using an external monitor, is that correct? because this is what you want with the KVM switch so you’ll be working on your main PC and you’ll push a button on the KVM switch and then you’ll be focused on the work computer

Thanks Phillip for the advise. Belkin has officially advertised that the hub can support a USB keyboard and mouse. That's the only reason I bought the hub. Would you suggest going for an OEM docking station from Dell? Perhaps that might solve the problem? It's considerably more expensive though.

Although I know what they are, I have had no experience of docking stations so I'm unable to advise on buying one.

D

Deleted member 14196

Most USB hubs can support keyboard and mice. But not between two computers for that you need a KVM switch. A docking station isn’t going to help you

Reactions: venks_i_ind
Sep 6, 2020
Not really just get a good quality one don’t buy the cheapest one. You are using an external monitor, is that correct? because this is what you want with the KVM switch so you’ll be working on your main PC and you’ll push a button on the KVM switch and then you’ll be focused on the work computer

Yes that's correct. Currently I am using a external monitor but I might move to a dual monitor setup soon though.