Keyboard stopped working during XP repair install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkymom56

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hello,
I had to do a XP repair install. Everything was going fine until a screen came up asking about language preferences. I tried to use the keyboard and the mouse, but nothing happens. Can someone help me?

Solution
Your Bios is the setup on your motherbord. To access the bios you have to press a function key (repeatedly) when you first turn on your computer. This is usually F2 although it could be any of them, even the escape key. If you have the manual it will tell you which one without having to try them all. Once into the Bios tab through each of the tabs until you see in one of the lists the Legacy USB, then enable it.(it will tell you how to do it on the screen) Restart your computer and hopefully you will have use of your Keyboard and Mouse. If you are struggling and find it difficult, try to borrow a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse and you will be able to install with them.( your USB Keyboard will then work after your install). If you have to use...

sparkymom56

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
They are USB, but I don't know how I can check the Bios. The install is stuck on that page and without a keyboard or mouse I can't get out. I tried plugging them into all the other USB ports, but that didn't work. I am getting a little desperate, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mibix19

Distinguished
Your Bios is the setup on your motherbord. To access the bios you have to press a function key (repeatedly) when you first turn on your computer. This is usually F2 although it could be any of them, even the escape key. If you have the manual it will tell you which one without having to try them all. Once into the Bios tab through each of the tabs until you see in one of the lists the Legacy USB, then enable it.(it will tell you how to do it on the screen) Restart your computer and hopefully you will have use of your Keyboard and Mouse. If you are struggling and find it difficult, try to borrow a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse and you will be able to install with them.( your USB Keyboard will then work after your install). If you have to use PS2 make sure it is plugged in before you start your computer. Good Luck Keep us posted.

Solution

dvgad

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I tried your suggestion when repairing my dell dimension 3000 which I guess was using a different keyboard/mouse before the repair.
Despite my using ps2 keyboard/mouse still it did not work.
The solution that worked for me:
I renamed "\windows\inf" and "\windows\drivers" so that the repair installation would not find the previous drivers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.