Question Keyboard stops working after boot

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
I recently got a X58 system. My keyboard lights are on when it’s on the splash screen and I can access the BIOS by spamming DEL. But the problem is that when it gets into Windows the lights go off and I am unable you operate the OS.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What are system specs? What brand model is keyboard? Which Windows?

Is the mouse OK and onyl the keyboard with the problem?

Is Legacy USB Support enabled in BIOS?

You can try to unplug and replug the keyboard, then Windows might try to reinstall the driver automatically, and the keyboard might reconnect.

You can also try updating the USB driver if it's not up to date, however, you might need the keyboard and you definitely need mouse to do so.

There are cases when the issue can be caused by some of the Third Party services. So disabling the Third Party services may fix the issue.

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
What are system specs? What brand model is keyboard? Which Windows?

Is the mouse OK and onyl the keyboard with the problem?

Is Legacy USB Support enabled in BIOS?

You can try to unplug and replug the keyboard, then Windows might try to reinstall the driver automatically, and the keyboard might reconnect.

You can also try updating the USB driver if it's not up to date, however, you might need the keyboard and you definitely need mouse to do so.

There are cases when the issue can be caused by some of the Third Party services. So disabling the Third Party services may fix the issue.
System Specs:
i7 980X
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB SSD
Asus P6X58D-E
RX 560 2GB

The Motherboard and CPU are new to me. My personal rig has an i7 980X in aswell. All components I have tested and proven to work on my personal rig. I wasn’t able to get into Advanced Boot menu, but after getting a bootable flash and using that I was able to boot into safe mode. Even after that the keyboard and mouse still don’t work on loging screen. I don’t know what to do now.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
System Specs:
i7 980X
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB SSD
Asus P6X58D-E
RX 560 2GB

The Motherboard and CPU are new to me. My personal rig has an i7 980X in aswell. All components I have tested and proven to work on my personal rig. I wasn’t able to get into Advanced Boot menu, but after getting a bootable flash and using that I was able to boot into safe mode. Even after that the keyboard and mouse still don’t work on loging screen. I don’t know what to do now.

As rgd1101 suggested, have you tried a different keyboard?

Why couldn't you get into Advanced Boot menu? Keyboard not working during the bootloader working (after POST) either?

So did you use an old installation of Win 7 on a drive from previous system? That might be the cause of the problem if that's indeed what you did.

It is recommended that you do a clean installation of Windows on system after installing new hardware.

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
As rgd1101 suggested, have you tried a different keyboard?

Why couldn't you get into Advanced Boot menu? Keyboard not working during the bootloader working (after POST) either?

So did you use an old installation of Win 7 on a drive from previous system? That might be the cause of the problem if that's indeed what you did.

It is recommended that you do a clean installation of Windows on system after installing new hardware.

I’m going to do a clean install of Win10. I did try different keyboards and my keyboard works before the Windows logo. So a fresh install might help.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I’m going to do a clean install of Win10. I did try different keyboards and my keyboard works before the Windows logo. So a fresh install might help.

What happened when you tried other keyboards? The same thing? Or they works and only your keyboard stops working when Windows loads? That might mean there problem is with your current keyboard, although it works before Windows loads.

A fresh install of Windows won't hurt but you need to backup whatever data/files you have on the drive you want to install on as it would format and you'd lose data/files.

You can also wait to see if others have any input.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Was the current Windows 10 an upgrade from Windows 7 or did you install Windows 10 from scratch?

Is your keyboard and mouse (and others you tried with no results) USB? Have you tried a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Does the mobo have PS/2 ports, purple for keyboard and green for mouse?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You need a working keyboard to try some of the things I said in post #3 such as trying to updating the USB driver if it's not up to date and also disabling the Third Party services in Windows config.

Is this SSD a Windows 10 from your 'personal rig' which you just plug to the new system and try to bood and you have the problem with the mouse and keyboard. Apart from the motherboard and CPU are the other parts identical?

Sometimes trying to boot an existing Windows installation on new hardware/components causes issue.

If that's the case do the mouse and keyboard work there on the personal rig? If so check for updates to chipset and USB drivers (since the boards are idenical?) and also try to disable Third Party services on the working machine. If it's a different board with the same CPU this might not work.

There was also talk of a Windows update causing this issue. Update KB4074588. See if that's installed in the Windows try to remove.uninstall it though control panel in the working machine.

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
You need a working keyboard to try some of the things I said in post #3 such as trying to updating the USB driver if it's not up to date and also disabling the Third Party services in Windows config.

Is this SSD a Windows 10 from your 'personal rig' which you just plug to the new system and try to bood and you have the problem with the mouse and keyboard. Apart from the motherboard and CPU are the other parts identical?

Sometimes trying to boot an existing Windows installation on new hardware/components causes issue.

If that's the case do the mouse and keyboard work there on the personal rig? If so check for updates to chipset and USB drivers (since the boards are idenical?) and also try to disable Third Party services on the working machine. If it's a different board with the same CPU this might not work.

There was also talk of a Windows update causing this issue. Update KB4074588. See if that's installed in the Windows try to remove.uninstall it though control panel in the working machine.

My keyboard and mouse are confirmed working, across multiple machines.

All components are the same besides the motherboard and PSU. Same RAM, same CPU, same Keyboard and Mouse, same SSD and same GPU.

I'm going to try and do a fresh install of windows now.

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
My keyboard and mouse are confirmed working, across multiple machines.

All components are the same besides the motherboard and PSU. Same RAM, same CPU, same Keyboard and Mouse, same SSD and same GPU.

I'm going to try and do a fresh install of windows now.
I’ve trued about 3 times to do a fresh install. 3 different flash drives and reinstalled windows media creation tool thrice. Everytime it seems to complete and then get’s followed up by an error message saying ‘installation file corrupted blah blah blah’. Anyone know any kind of solution?