Keyboard stops working during Kali Linux USB install?

Endolithic

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
I'm trying to install Kali Linux as a dual boot with Windows 10 on my laptop. Last week I installed raw Debian 8, and soon realized Kali would be a better option. I deleted the partitions and now have the same unallocated space left for the new install. I loaded the ISO on a bootable USB, launched it during startup, and when I get to the select language page from the Kali Linux install, the keyboard stops working. I can use the arrow keys to select "graphical install," but it stops working after that. This will prevent me from installing fully.

Solution
It sounds like Kali may have forgotten to include config_HID_RMI in their kernel configuration:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7782000.html?sid=31e7daf6e1755f1924ba0753b41f230f

To verify, you need to find the kernel config file. If the live USB works on another machine, or if you can connect an external keyboard to the laptop, run zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i HID_RMI.

If you can't do this from a running Kali instance, you can find the config on the live USB image:

/boot/config

OR

/boot/config-$(uname -r)

This one is not compressed, so just run:

cat /boot/config | grep -i HID_RMI

OR

cat /boot/config-$(uname-r) | grep -i HID_RMI

If this is not the problem, then please post your Kali linux config.gz on a pastebin...

JMW22

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Please specify your laptop model.

Selecting "graphical install" means that you are in the bootloader, likely grub. Grub doesn't have any problems with keyboards because it doesn't enable any advanced features of keyboards. Once the linux kernel has booted, high end or otherwise non-standard keyboards are likely to require drivers, or specialized workarounds, which the creators of the Kali linux livecd may have forgotten to include. It's not only keyboards that can get in the way of keyboard input though. If graphics is enabled upon boot, then a graphics problem can prevent user input. In this case, booting in a non-graphical mode until you're able to fix the graphics issue could solve your problem. If this does not help, you will have to specify your laptop model.

Endolithic

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

I'm using a Razer Blade 2014(13?) model. The 14-inch. I believe I'm somewhat skilled with computers but am very new to Linux. Installing using the same method (although install vs. graphic install vs. live install were not choices) with Debian 8 worked fine.

JMW22

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
It sounds like Kali may have forgotten to include config_HID_RMI in their kernel configuration:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7782000.html?sid=31e7daf6e1755f1924ba0753b41f230f

To verify, you need to find the kernel config file. If the live USB works on another machine, or if you can connect an external keyboard to the laptop, run zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i HID_RMI.

If you can't do this from a running Kali instance, you can find the config on the live USB image:

/boot/config

OR

/boot/config-$(uname -r)

This one is not compressed, so just run:

cat /boot/config | grep -i HID_RMI

OR

cat /boot/config-$(uname-r) | grep -i HID_RMI

If this is not the problem, then please post your Kali linux config.gz on a pastebin somewhere and paste the link here. Otherwise, the easiest follow up step is to boot with an external keyboard attached, install Kali, make sure the network is running, then follow the Kali linux instructions for installing and configuring the kernel sources:

http://docs.kali.org/development/recompiling-the-kali-linux-kernel

During the configuration step, turn on HID_RMI support. It is found under Device Drivers -> HID support -> HID bus support -> Special HID drivers.

Make sure you save the configuration before completing the remaining steps. Reboot the machine and verify that the keyboard is working and that everything is working properly.

The last step should be to file a bug report with Kali linux to make sure that other people don't have the same problem.

Solution