Question Keyboard suddenly defunct ?

Dec 2, 2022
Booted up on Thursday and noticed that I couldn't delete unwanted emails using the keyboard.
Thought it was probably a TBird glitch until I discovered that nothing on the laptops keyboard was functioning.
Tried everything I could think of to resolve any software issues, to no avail, so I popped out and bought this cheap wireless keyboard ~ which is working using a dongel.

Obviously a hardware failure, but not sure what I need to replace. Everything else on the machine seems to be working OK, and I'm loathe to change it because I use the DVD drive a lot ( and newer models seem to lack that basic facility ).

Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

Toshiba Satellite C55-C-184 bought from a large, reputable UK chain ( oddly enough no listing of this model is available on the "dynabook" website, and despite having been registered when I try entering the serial number it comes up as an error ). Thing is it is 6 years old and nothing in this day and age is built to last.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could try and see if you can uninstall the keyboard listed in Device Manager. Ofc, I'm assuming you're working with Windows 10 and you see a keyboard listed in Device Manager but in reality it's not registering a keypress. Replacing the keyboard with a replacement part per your laptop's SKU would be the other solution, if you're sure that the laptop's keyboard is physically dead and not just a software/OS issue.

Dec 2, 2022
Thank you for the welcome Lutfij, nice to be here.

Having tried any/and/everything that I can think of ~ including your suggestion as to a software solution, and the fact that applying an altenative keyboard provides a working answer ( though not one. that is easy to get used to :) ) would imply that it is a hardware problem.
I've had the back off a few machines, but never a laptop so I'm not sure what I should replace to resolve a problem like this.

Dec 2, 2022
I should wish drummer fella.

It's seven years old has had a new screen... bought with Win7 and updated to Win10
Even Toshiba seem to be denying this series bacause we all accepted the Microsift update to 10

But the piece that is giving me keyboard control not only should be, but MUST be free to all users...? +
[ Inciedntally.... there is n+

does anyone know what piece of hardware I need to replace to resolve the keyboard issue?
if the keyboard lights up but button presses are not recognized then it could be any number of different software issues causing it.

if the keyboard is totally dead with no lighting, no buttons functioning, etc then it is likely a hardware failure.
whether replacing the keyboard would resolve the issue you would have to experiment to find out.
i would first try accessing the internals and unplug/re-plug the keyboard a couple times to see if it has any affect.

most major manufacturers offer OEM replacement parts through their own websites, Amazon, eBay or other online retailers.
you would need to do some searching for your make & model's SKU and see what kind of results you come across.

the fact that it is 7 years old now may make it a bit more difficult to find OEM parts available.
it may be a better/easier option to just replace the thing.
the fact that it has an internal DVD drive shouldn't make much a difference, you can get an external USB DVD drive for ~$20.