[SOLVED] Keyboard typing random characters windows 10

Apr 27, 2019
I'm having a problem with windows 10. Almost every time I try to type in the Cortana search box, the setting search box, Microsoft Store or Edge the keyboard starts typing random letters.

For instance, if I press "aaaaaaaaaa" it gives out "fvvar8chvx" a random jumble of letters like it is encrypting or forgetting to unencrypt the letters I type.

I'm a little confused because this is only happening in the Edge/Cortana Microsoft programs. Other applications such as Office 365, File Explorer and Chrome are not affected so it doesn't seem to be a keyboard type/region setting problem.

Hope someone can help.

Solution
Not sure if this one got answered, but for others having this exact issue I finally found the problem after coming across this post. It was the fact the OP mentioned Sophos Home which gave it away for me.
I have the same problem and couldn't work it out after months of frustration.

Turns out the issue is related to Sophos Home and its key-logger encryption as mentioned here. It only seems to affect Windows 10 apps and not 3rd party software. IE. Cortana, Search, Xbox App etc.

https://support.home.sophos.com/hc/...ncorrectly-encrypt-keystrokes-in-applications

Hope this helps
Apr 27, 2019
Which version of the OS are you on? Are you on a laptop or a desktop? You might want to use Keyboard Tester and see if you have any of your keys stuck unknowingly.

I'm on a Windows 10 Pro desktop using Sophos Home anti-virus.

Edit: There are no stuck keys using the keyboard tester. When I tested it in Chrome it worked fine but when I tested it in Edge the random key outputs started again.

The on screen keyboard works fine too.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019
Hi...I have the same issue that just cropped up. I am using a Logitech wireless KB...and have been for years...no issue. Today....random characters in the cortana and edge search bars...no issues any other apps. Itried the above tester and unistalled drivers etc....no good.

It works fine usiung the Onscreen KB though?

Any ideas??? Must be a win update issue??

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi...I have the same issue that just cropped up. I am using a Logitech wireless KB...and have been for years...no issue. Today....random characters in the cortana and edge search bars...no issues any other apps. Itried the above tester and unistalled drivers etc....no good.

It works fine usiung the Onscreen KB though?

Any ideas??? Must be a win update issue??

i will answer this in your thread

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019
Not sure if this one got answered, but for others having this exact issue I finally found the problem after coming across this post. It was the fact the OP mentioned Sophos Home which gave it away for me.

Turns out the issue is related to Sophos Home and its key-logger encryption as mentioned here. It only seems to affect Windows 10 apps and not 3rd party software. IE. Cortana, Search, Xbox App etc.

https://support.home.sophos.com/hc/...ncorrectly-encrypt-keystrokes-in-applications

Hope this helps

Reactions: The_SiO
Solution
Apr 27, 2019

Hope this helps

Thanks, I've put it down to this too. It still happens all of the time on my PC, especially when saving files - so annoying.

There is a quick workaround if you press the windows key and space at the same time cycles through keyboard settings and gets things on the right track.

I just wish Sophos would fix it.

Sep 29, 2019

Hope this helps
Thank you Guybrush006. We were having this problem for about a month. It happened intermittently with email and windows, but happened almost without fail when my kids were playing Minecraft (Java RE version). Tried reinstalling drivers and languages but nothing helped until I happened across this post. I disabled the key-logger encryption and problem was immediately fixed.