Keyboards not receiving power

scoobysnkk

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I just built my first pc, I was really excited to get to use it. I plugged in my mouse and keyboard and decided to get to work but something curious happened, my mouse worked however my keyboard did not. The keyboard in question is a Cooler Master Storm Quick Fire Pro. After it didn't work I tried rebooting the computer, again, no dice. So I plugged the keyboard into my laptop, didnt work. Luckily (or so I thought) I happen to have multiple CM Storm Quick Fire Pros so I decided to try another out and another and still they were not recognized my either my desktop or laptop.

I really want to use my desktop :(

did you shut down your pc completely, plug in the keyboard and then start up the pc? and for the laptop test as well? windows does not always like when you plug and play with keyboards.

do the keyboards require software to be installed first? often generic windows drivers will work but in your case with the keyboards not working on multiple systems i would guess it is another issue besides just a bad keyboard.

i would doubt both your laptop and pc have bad usb ports and i would doubt that 3 keyboards are not in working order.

have you tried using a usb to ps/2 adapter ?

scoobysnkk

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
did you shut down your pc completely, plug in the keyboard and then start up the pc? Yes, multiple times.

and for the laptop test as well? Yes

windows does not always like when you plug and play with keyboards.

do the keyboards require software to be installed first? No, they do not

often generic windows drivers will work but in your case with the keyboards not working on multiple systems i would guess it is another issue besides just a bad keyboard.

i would doubt both your laptop and pc have bad usb ports and i would doubt that 3 keyboards are not in working order. Then what could it be?

have you tried using a usb to ps/2 adapter ? No, I have not

do you have another brand of keyboard laying around you can test? if it works fine then the issue is with the keyboards. as to what it might be... i am not sure, i've never had 3 non working keyboards of the same brand.

did you buy the whole lot at once or have you had them for awhile. when did they last work and on what system?