Keyboards not typing anything - problem with computer?

Bobshaw

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
This problem started occurring a few days after a new CPU cooler install. My keyboard stopped typing anything despite it being fully lit up and working on other computers (even without driver) perfectly and recognised by my computer. I then tried using a different keyboard and the same happened, it wouldn't work either. My PC does detect the keyboard, troubleshooting does nothing.
This is leading me to think it's an issue with my computer however Microsoft Tech support could not help.

My drivers shouldn't have changed. The media keys work but any other key doesn't. Usually a system restore would fix it but it happened again and the restore points have all been deleted. I've tried multiple restarts and i have tried all usb slots (2.0 and 3.0) to no avail. I do not want to end up refreshing my system to see if that could solve it.

I taking it for granted your using a USB keyboard. It could be several different things like your USB drivers could be corrupted or you power supply is dying and not giving your motherboard enough power for your USB devices. Try unhooking any other USB devices your not needing and see if that helps. You can try moving the keyboard to another port. You can go into the device manger and delete all the USB hubs. Windows will reload them right away when you exit DM.

Bobshaw

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
It is a USB keyboard (corsair k70). Power supply shouldnt be an issue. The keyboard powers on perfectly and it was working ok the day before. Ive tried different ports and im sure its nothing to do with drivers as the keyboard works fine on another computer without drivers and a different cheaper keyboard also does the same on my computer.

Bobshaw

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Nevermind it's started doing the same thing again. its sort of happening randomly and usually a system restore would solve it but now my system restore points have gone missing so i am well and truly buggered.

Bobshaw

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
This problem started occurring a few days after a new CPU cooler install. My keyboard stopped typing anything despite it being fully lit up and working on other computers (even without driver) perfectly and recognised by my computer. I then tried using a different keyboard and the same happened, it wouldn't work either. My PC does detect the keyboard, troubleshooting does nothing.
This is leading me to think it's an issue with my computer however Microsoft Tech support could not help.

My drivers shouldn't have changed. The media keys work but any other key doesn't. Usually a system restore would fix it but it happened again and the restore points have all been deleted. I've tried multiple restarts and i have tried all usb slots (2.0 and 3.0) to no avail. I do not want to end up refreshing my system to see if that could solve it.