Question Keyboards not working, any troubleshooting suggestions?

Hisashi705

Honorable
Jul 23, 2015
I'm not sure where to post this so I am trying here. working with a friend and their comps keyboard(wireless) suddenly stopped working, though their wireless mouse is fine. ran them through basic troubleshooting like trying a different keyboard(wired), using a different usb port, trying the board on a different computer, uninstalling a reinstalling drivers, making sure filter keys were off ect and nothing seems to be working. I was hoping that someone here might have some good non standard things to try before going nuclear and doing an OS reinstall or something to fix the issue

Hisashi705

Honorable
Jul 23, 2015
when you said the keyboard not working. not even the light on the motherboard light up?
num lock, caps locks, etc
gonna be honest, I didn't think to check the lights but I think they were working, won't get another chance to check until tomorrow though now that I'm at home, I'll make sure to check. also, couldn't see the motherboard so can't check any lights there, just on the keyboard

Last edited:

Hisashi705

Honorable
Jul 23, 2015
Is the dongle for the keyboard detected by the computer or is it a bluetooth one? If the wireless mouse going through the same dongle?
not sure if the computer is detecting the dongle, but it's doing it with all keyboards, wired or wireless. and they're sperate dongles for mouse and keyboard. he's going to drop it off at my place tomorrow night and I'll be able to get more hands on there to try things like getting into bios

Hisashi705

Honorable
Jul 23, 2015
ok, update, finally got the computer in my hands and for some reason now it's taking input, I honestly can't replicate the issue no matter what I try. sorry for taking up your time for a problem that seems to have fixed itself. I just did a basic sweep after I confirmed with multiple keyboards that it's working again and changed some power settings to not allow the comp to turn off usb to save power just in case. I honestly wish I knew what the issue was so I could prevent it from happening again.