Keyboard's number keys not working, driver reinstall did not work.

JustAnotherNewbie

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014
Basically title, my keyboard's number keys dont work, the ones above the QWERTY row, and a driver reinstall from device manager did not work. My keyboard is a cheap A4Tech Keyboard. The End and PgUp/PgDown Keys also dont work. The 5 and 6 keys do work, however. If it helps, I've tried System Restore, also did not work. It started happening after a sudden blackout last night, and has not worked since.

Hi

Do you have access to a keyboard you can borrow ?
It sounds more like a hardware problem than software Windows corruption

but before giving up, shut down PC, disconnect from the mains, unplug keyboard & then afer a minute reconnect & start up again

Keyboards have their own controller and may need a complete power down to reset

regards
Mike Barnes

JustAnotherNewbie

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014

I currently have no other keyboards, trying to get one so I can try it out. I'm not sure it's the keyboard's problem, though, as I've been using A4Tech stuff for a while now, both mice and keyboards, and they generally last pretty long, and I haven't abused my number keys, as the only ones I use heavily are numbers 1-3, for Counter Strike and Dota 2, which I have a combined 1300 hours on, but only around 200 of that is on this keyboard and computer. After creating this thread, I went out for around an hour, which should have completely powered it down, and it didn't affect anything. Do I have to disconnect it while the PC is shut down to power it down completely?

Hi

Modern motherboards are still receiving a small amount of power from psu when PC shut down from within windows or other OS

So the keyboard micro controller may not get reset fully when PC starts up by pressing power button

( I have seen this with mice more often than keyboards)

but until you can find another keyboard you won't know for sure if windows registry relating to keyboard got corrupted or the keyboard hardware failed.

Regards
Mike Barnes

JustAnotherNewbie

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014

Will be getting a new keyboard, borrowed a Steelseries keyboard, almost brand new, in a few hours, and will try it out. If it doesn't work, how do I go about fixing it? Just in case, so I don't have to keep asking.

Ad_shadow

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Not really a perfect fix.You situation is also a bit different.But the problem is same.
As far as i know this problem occurs after the computer is left idle for a long time or mostly after waking up from sleep(my case).Try this once.
1)Put the computer to sleep.
2)Wake it up using the keys that are not working.
works every time for me.

JustAnotherNewbie

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014

Why are you necroing this post? I've since gotten a new keyboard, so I'm not in need of this particular solution anymore. It's never happened again also, so yeaaaa

Ad_shadow

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

I had this problem recently,couldn't find a proper solution,tried some things and posted the one which worked for me. Just in case anyone has this problem in future.

Lycan_Knight

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Hey! I just had this issue with my numeric numbers after cleaning it out. Have you recently cleaned out your keyboard by chance? Check the back of the keyboard for some specific slots (look like they have little arms within the screw-holes to push the plate down) and *tighten* those screws until you feel like you're about to strip the slot. I know it sounds sketchy but it just got my 1-4 and 7-0 numbers (excluding 5 and 6 which have always worked) back in operation.

Now, of course, this is if you're using a wired keyboard so if it's a wireless one i'm kinda on a loss for you guys sorry :( but anywhom: tighten the two screws on either side of the wire, another thing is there should be two oddball screws where the chip sits, you'll need a glasses screw-driver but tighten those too. I just did it and my keyboard is working again! :D This old beast of a keyboard is a 15 year old generic 5 dollar p.o.s :p and still runs perfectly fine now that i've tightened those screws specifically. This goes for *anyone* that is struggling with their keyboards hence why i'm reviving a year old thread xD i couldn't find a method on the internet that didn't require me buying a whole new keyboard when the dang thing worked this morning before the clean-out.