[SOLVED] Keyboards Only Work When Plugged Into My Monitor

ubehome

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
So I have 6 Keyboards on hand and 5 of them don't work properly when plugged directly into the motherboard's USB ports.

The first is 1 wireless Staples keyboard that works perfectly at all times.

There are 2 Mechanical Keyboards work great except when doing high end gaming, then the keys start to stick and even becomes unresponsive every few seconds.

The other 3 are membrane keyboards which are completely unresponsive and don't light up where there are LEDs.

But the weirdest thing is these all work 99% of the time when plugged into my monitor which has an upstream cable. All of these keyboards work perfectly on other computers. And all other peripherals work perfectly when plugged into USB slots, such as mice, drawing tablets, microphones, gaming controllers, webcams etc.
Things I have tried:
  • Turning off sticky keys
  • Turning off power savings settings
  • Turning off power savings settings on keyboard properties
  • Trying multiple power outlets and USB ports
  • Updating BIOS and Windows 10
  • Having the latest keyboard and GPU drivers
  • Scanned system with Malwarebytes
Hardware:
Motherboard: Tuf Gaming x570-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: MSI 1080 ti trio
Monitor with upstream cable: P2715Q
Keyboards: Ducky one 2 mini, Redragon K582, GK38, Ares e1, 70117, 99201

The only issue is if I ever change my monitor, I won't be able to use a keyboard. I've been struggling with this issue for the past year, so any ideas is deeply appreciated!
Thank you!!

Solution
My thought is that the problem is power related.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what is happening when the various keyboards work and what changes when the keyboards do not work.

First watch while doing nothing, then light work or browsing, and lastly gaming.

Use both Task Manager and Resource Monitor to watch but only using one or the other.

Also, do you have access to an independently powered USB hub that you can plug into the host computer and then plug the keyboard into the USB hub?

The keyboards may not be getting the necessary power via the motherboard ports. When plugged into the monitor the keyboards do get the necessary power - almost "hub like".
Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB)>USB Root Hub (do this for both Usb Root Hub options)>Power Managament>uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power>Restart PC>see if the keyboards work.
Give it a try

ubehome

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB)>USB Root Hub (do this for both Usb Root Hub options)>Power Managament>uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power>Restart PC>see if the keyboards work.
Give it a try
Thanks, that was an excellent idea! Unfortunately, the problem persists after turning off all USB controllers that had that option and restarting.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the problem is power related.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what is happening when the various keyboards work and what changes when the keyboards do not work.

First watch while doing nothing, then light work or browsing, and lastly gaming.

Use both Task Manager and Resource Monitor to watch but only using one or the other.

Also, do you have access to an independently powered USB hub that you can plug into the host computer and then plug the keyboard into the USB hub?

The keyboards may not be getting the necessary power via the motherboard ports. When plugged into the monitor the keyboards do get the necessary power - almost "hub like".

Reactions: ubehome
Solution

ubehome

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks Ralston! I just swapped out the power supply and haven't had any issues since, wish I saw your reply sooner.

The probably defective power supply was an EVGA 700w BR which is about 2-3 years old and worked well as far as I can tell.

I swapped it out with a new CX 750w Corsair, so far everything is working perfectly but I could do more rigorous and long-term testing.

I think my monitor which was independently powered was able to provide enough power for the peripherals. I also bought a USB hub without independent power and had the same issues, which made me realize perhaps the power source was the culprit. I came back here to share my findings, but I think you nailed the solution a month before I did!