Question Keys spam when held down ?

Nov 24, 2022
Some keys on my keyboard spam when I hold. I know its supposed to do that if you are typing but in some things youre supposed to hold it but my keyboard just spams that key when I hold it down. How do I fix?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Some keys on my keyboard spam when I hold. I know its supposed to do that if you are typing but in some things youre supposed to hold it but my keyboard just spams that key when I hold it down. How do I fix?
Could you be a little more specific? It will spam if you hold it when you are typing into a text box, editor, or other software. Are you referring to some kind of game or something? When should you have to hold it and it spam? Is there a specific program or game?

Typematic rate is set in the keyboard driver, and the default keyboard drivers by Microsoft don't have any settings to change this anymore so you'd need a keyboard with installable drivers.

In MS-DOS the command to change this is MODE CON[:] but I have no idea if this still works in Windows, and in any case it won't allow you to select which keys get the repeat but at least you can slow it down to say one press per second.

Once upon a time this was a common BIOS setting but after the BIOS hands over control it's all in the driver anyway.

Some specific programs like games may allow you to change the keys in their settings, so you could change it to a key that doesn't do that