Question keystone jack compatibility?

grguthrie

Commendable
Aug 6, 2020
I have a bunch of P&S RJ45 jacks and sockets I used for my SOHO.
Needing more, I now seem to fond almost only Keystone format jacks & plates, which are different.
Is there any interoperability and conversion between the two - i.e. to use new Keystone jacks and sockets with older flat P&S wall plates?
Or vice-versa?

I assume you mean those older plates where the jack was actually part of the plate.

In general it will all work together as long as they are actually designed for data and not phone.

Almost all jacks follow the 568a or 568b pattern. As long as both ends match it will work.

The newer keystone I find easier they have fancy color patterns printed on the side and many you can just use the cover to punch the wires down without special tools.

Still it doesn't really matter. As long as you get the wire pairs on the proper pins it will all work.

Are you talking about these non-keystone jacks? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0163270OC

Are you talking about using P&S on one side and keystone on the other? As long as it's wired the same as 568A or 568B, it should be fine.

Keystones have taken over as the industry standard, similar to VHS vs BetaMax, Bluray vs HDDVD etc....... If buying more, just buy keystones and get some keystone wall plates and convert your P&S jacks over to keystone. Keystone wall plates come in single, double and quadruple. Just make sure that you take a picture of your P&S jacks before you remove the wires, so you can reference if they were wired for 568A or 568B. Then copy that onto the keystone jack.