News KFC's KFConsole Is Real: Secret Ingredient Is Intel Silicon

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
I was going to comment on why an Intel instead of an AMD, but then I remembered that Intel heats a lot better. I wonder if the heating tray will also work with hot pockets and KFC sandwiches too?

This would be a meme worthy Steam box; set a Hot Pocket, play some games, and your Hot Pocket will be ready after an hour's gaming session. Take a quick break to eat up, then get back to gaming, with another snack in the warmer for the next hour or two, when you get the munchies again. Heck, you won't even have to leave the couch if the side-table is a mini-fridge and the KFConsole connected to the TV via a long HDMI/DP cable.

berlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I was going to comment on why an Intel instead of an AMD, but then I remembered that Intel heats a lot better. I wonder if the heating tray will also work with hot pockets and KFC sandwiches too?

This would be a meme worthy Steam box; set a Hot Pocket, play some games, and your Hot Pocket will be ready after an hour's gaming session. Take a quick break to eat up, then get back to gaming, with another snack in the warmer for the next hour or two, when you get the munchies again. Heck, you won't even have to leave the couch if the side-table is a mini-fridge and the KFConsole connected to the TV via a long HDMI/DP cable.

This case will give KFC a lot of publicity, but it raises the issue of how do they prevent greasy food stains from getting on the components? Or does the food compartment not need cleaning?

Reactions: artk2219

chang.can

Commendable
Sep 12, 2018
I was really hoping they could upgrade the processor to something like the i7-9700KF Cpu. Disappointed at the missed opportunities.

Reactions: artk2219

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I was going to comment on why an Intel instead of an AMD, but then I remembered that Intel heats a lot better. ...
It could be so, if it wasn't that they use the very low power NUC.
The performances (heating the food and gaming) would be much better using a combo of mini ITX mobo with a ~150W CPU and >300W GPU.

Giroro

Splendid
I disagree that it is a "joke" or a "Troll", It's just a blatant marketing stunt - one of many trying to "Get trending" based on the demand for consoles. The Cream-cheese PS5 I saw advertised on every single youtube video in October was real too, you know. It's just mildly annoying to see a fast food ad treated like actual tech news. All this chicken box needs is a clip of Pen Gillette trying to explain Google Trends to a drunk Dennis Rodman, and we'll have all the necessary components for an episode of the Celebrity Apprentice.

And, like always, I hope Tom's got paid a lot to repost this sad attempt at forced viral marketing.

It could be so, if it wasn't that they use the very low power NUC.
The performances (heating the food and gaming) would be much better using a combo of mini ITX mobo with a ~150W CPU and >300W GPU.
Well, they do say it will have an "RTX GPU", so I would imagine there will probably be a decent amount of heat coming off of that while gaming. I wouldn't expect the exhaust air being hot enough to cook with though, and it sounds like they are describing it as a tray to keep food warm rather than an oven. Making it an actual oven would probably require airflow to be low enough where components would be overheating.

I disagree that it is a "joke" or a "Troll", It's just a blatant marketing stunt - one of many trying to "Get trending" based on the demand for consoles. The Cream-cheese PS5 I saw advertised on every single youtube video in October was real too, you know. It's just mildly annoying to see a fast food ad treated like actual tech news. All this chicken box needs is a clip of Pen Gillette trying to explain Google Trends to a drunk Dennis Rodman, and we'll have all the necessary components for an episode of the Celebrity Apprentice.

And, like always, I hope Tom's got paid a lot to repost this sad attempt at forced viral marketing.
Sounds like someone has buyer's remorse from picking up a system without a food chamber. : P

It's obviously a marketing stunt, but it appears to be an actual device, and is kind of interesting from a case-modding standpoint. It's not really any different from reporting on a "Raspberry Pi Zero Squeezed Into Nintendo Christmas Ornament", for example, and is arguably more interesting, finding a way to make use of the waste heat from a computer, even if its for a purpose of questionable utility.

Reactions: chang.can

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Now we enter the era of fast food console wars.

Taco Bell - Taco warmer with optional internal burrito add-on.

i9 based Pizza oven from Dominos / Pizza Hut (Hmmm I see AMD vs Intel here)

McDonald's full sized tower console that holds 32 big macs vs Burger King's mini that only holds 2 whoppers

Wendy's Arm based square console with frosty dispenser add-on. (OK, I actually would like that) The "Pro" version would be a Baconator shaped case or better yet cooks bacon while you game.

DQ's Extreme liquid nitrogen cooled Blizzard / Peanut Buster Parfait / Dilly Bar PC / Fridge ... Hmmm tie in with a pop company (or beer) to hold a 6 pack as well.

Jack in the Box ... well that writes itself.

I wonder why I'm flashing back to the 60s/70s with the E Z bake oven. Gaming PC with integrated cupcake maker ... yep that won't promote any stereotypes.

Last edited: