bob_the_builder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2005
What the is the fastest CPU I can fit onto socket A of KG7-raid that would work properly? Considering it is ok to overclock my memory and such. Thanx.

The XP mobile is the best OCing chip for the socket A

The <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-401&depa=1" target="_new">XP Mobile 2500+</A> is 1.83Ghz, has a great price/perf level and can be clocked well over 2 Ghz without too much trouble as long as you have a good RAM and PSU. What RAM/PSU do you have?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Seems like no one is answering your question. New CPUs have to be supported by BIOS updates, now reading the Abit website it looks like the <A HREF="http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KG7-RAID&fMTYPE=Socket A&pPRODINFO=BIOS" target="_new">BIOS </A>of the KG7 motherboard was only updated to support the AMD XP 2100+ on the Palomino core (0.18µm) and the 2000+ on the Thoroughbred core (0.13µm). It doesn't seem to have been updated since then so probably won't support higher. It is, after all, a 4 year old motherboard.

I started thinking about that, too, and sent an email to their tech support to ask the question.

bob_the_builder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2005
in my BIOS multiplier goes until 13 and there is an option called above 13. bus speed goes until 200. you can also just chooce CPUs and it goes up to XP2200+, in which i am sure multiplier is higher than 13. (13.5 possibly?) There are also 3 options for playing with voltage... Thats why I wonder if I can use multipliers and bus speed to define my new/bigger/better CPU in BIOS, evem though ABIT officially wouldnt support it? thanx...

endyen

Splendid
your board uses an Amd chipset. When they got out of the business, they stopped doing bios. A while ago, we had a few people try to put xp2400+ chips on boards with that chipset. Many were successfull. BTW, your fsb doesn't generally like to go much above 140.
Other than an xp-m chip, none of the 133 fsb chips have much to offer.

bob_the_builder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2005
XP2400+ you are refering, is it Palomino or Thoroughbred? Did people try to put Mobile on this motherboard? Thank you for your posts, though, my question about DM or DS BIOS being the latest still stands unanswered...

endyen

Splendid
I suspect that dm is just a correction of the chip recognition protocols in ds. dm is a few hrs newer.
I've never heard of a palomino 2400+. I dont think xp2400+s came in t-bred A even.

and I haven't gotten a response from Abit yet either... :mad: