News Khadas' Latest Arm PC And SBC Now Available to Buy

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do want! But the Edge2 could use a second HDMI, especially to compete with the Pi 4.

The starting price isn't too bad, not least due to what Pi 4 is selling for these days! It's sure a lot better than the Firefly board, but that has the advantage of being mini-ITX and having a PCIe, SATA, and a M.2 slot.

Other thoughts:
  • It's a good call that they start at 8 GB.
  • There's also a 16 GB model, but that adds $100. :(
  • I'm really not too happy about the fan. They don't say how many RPM is typical or max, but it's small so I think you'll probably hear it.
  • Seems to have neither integrated wifi nor ethernet? Not happy about that. I mean, you can add a dongle, but those are ugly and for the price I'd expect at least wifi.

I hope ODROID comes out with a RK3588 board. They have other Rockchip boards, so it could happen.

jefferzbooboo

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Do want! But the Edge2 could use a second HDMI, especially to compete with the Pi 4.

The starting price isn't too bad, not least due to what Pi 4 is selling for these days! It's sure a lot better than the Firefly board, but that has the advantage of being mini-ITX and having a PCIe, SATA, and a M.2 slot.

Other thoughts:
  • It's a good call that they start at 8 GB.
  • There's also a 16 GB model, but that adds $100. :(
  • I'm really not too happy about the fan. They don't say how many RPM is typical or max, but it's small so I think you'll probably hear it.
  • Seems to have neither integrated wifi nor ethernet? Not happy about that. I mean, you can add a dongle, but those are ugly and for the price I'd expect at least wifi.
I hope ODROID comes out with a RK3588 board. They have other Rockchip boards, so it could happen.

Beginning of the third paragraph, "You also get things like Wi-Fi 6"

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Beginning of the third paragraph, "You also get things like Wi-Fi 6"
Thanks. I had actually gone straight to the manufacturer's product page, followed the "Buy" link, and eyeballed the specs on that page, as well as searching them for "wifi" and "ethernet". I see they also mention "Wi-Fi 6".

Good to know I simply missed it, but I'm still not happy about no Ethernet. 2.5 Gbps would've been very nice, at this price point.

Also, bummed not to see a M.2 slot. I think that's an even bigger deficit than lack of Ethernet.

I really hope somebody besides Firefly builds a mini-ITX board with this SoC. I think Firefly's is cool, but having the CPU and RAM on a daughter card seems to add cost & complexity. I'm sure someone like ASUS or ASRock could do it a lot cheaper.

Last edited: