Khronos Group Announces The Next-Generation 'Vulkan' Graphics And Compute API

Status
Not open for further replies.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
So basically AMD announces no more Mantle support... Basically AMD gave Mantle to Kronos and let them take it over and call it GLnext....

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
@airborn824.
Strange, when I read the article, it read like:
"This is probably why Vulkan will keep the OpenGL ES 3.1 (latest version) base, and go from there with its feature evolution."

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Mantle never had to succeed on its own, just kicking the other players in the ass was enough.

I would love to see vulkan smoke directx, that along with its cross platform base, would be great news indeed.

8R_Scotch

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
I'd love to see Vulkan severely threatening DirectX 12 too, but if DX12 can truly pool graphics cards together with decent efficiency and cross-brand compatibility, Vulkan has a great disadvantage there.

Hell, if MS can show that adding the integreated graphics of it's (or AMD's) chips to your dedicated graphics in a pool can IMPROVE performance without some nasty side-effects (loosing superior function, compatibility, increasing lag, etc.), there's no competition.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Vulkan and Unreal becoming even cheaper(because $20 was too much, now its free) are the best recent news.
Vulkan has a good chance to replace DX12 on Windows platfrom for the moajority of the games because it is:
- do not need fees
- crossplatform
- plays exceptionally well with OpenCL 2.1( and there is SPIR-V that will help to use your favourite language without going deep in OpenCL) which got easier as well.
- developed by more companies than DX12 including software and game developers. Basicly thye fixed their previous mistake and are now listening to developers and make it easy to use. And its officially known that they used Mantle and improved it alot.

Both Vulkan and DX12 are completely new API. Developers will have to learn it from the groud up anyway, no matter which they choose. But crossplaform vs MS platform.... without recieving any money from MS i just can't see someone so stupid to use DX12.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Vulkan and Unreal becoming even cheaper(because $20 was too much, now its free) are the best recent news.
Unreal is not "free," just free to develop on until you start pulling in $3k+ per quarter, then you start paying the 5% royalty fee.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

I know, its free as in beer but comparing to the others its the best to start with as usually you start without much money or confidence.
With UE4 you can start from scratch without paying for seats and all. Comparing to the Unity that still wants money whether you earn something yourself or not it is the most free option out there in AAA class game engines. On top of that you get the source code that with Unity will cost additional sweet sum of money.
Once you start making big money you can buy UE4 and use it without fees like the big companies do. And if you're not making such kind of money 5% for what you get is a nice payment.
Also in more recent news Valve will release Source 2 soon(Vulkan support from the start) and will also be free. Yes there is a catch, you must place your game in Steam and that will require 30% fees. And we still know nothing about it and whether its worth it to begin with. Still if you're new to the business and planning to release your game on PC you would like to put it on Steam anyway.

SuperG

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Strange this pro open api's vs MS API
First Mantle, Vulcan, DX12 comes into reality by Developer request. A result of lobby-ing communication between 3 parties of API, Hardware and devs. AMD was pushing it harder then the rest. My bet the where already working on it.
But keep in mind the big shot not the hobbist or indi-dev get the most attention from the hardware and API vendors. So the more bigger commercial titles and the studio behind them. Mostly Technical directors have much more say to GPU vendors and API. The bigshots and primadonna's vent there request.

So will Vulkan smoke DX12 I don't think so. If you are a indie dev of one man team you can deside to support OpenGL/Vulcan exclusively because as a independent dev you got this freedom. And avoid MS consoles. Or any platform from them. And if supporting windows use OpenGL. If you are a dev a Linux fundy and independed you can and will obviously avoid platforms where you need to use DX.

But as a Linux fundi working for a triple A studio your boss or technical CTO might need to use DX for PC and XB360 and XB1 because the publisher invest in a cross platform title for the larges gamer platforms. you could be part of the Linux port team. But if the 3D engine programmer are of the engine team they probably need to no DX and openGL.

So who is Vulcan for. those big studios supporting next to the three biggest platforms also MAC and Linux. Besides PS4 XB1 and PC windows.
And the non |MS mobile platforms.
How ever I imagine a Tech CEO decides on a Triple A cross platform block buster a
Game that will be released for the prim biggest platforms. which includes MS consoles.

These API are implementation details and requirement constrains. They are not a feature. But more or less depend on what platform those games are made for.

So DX- whatever or Kronos equivalent are nothing but cross platform engine constrains address in technical design document. Where the bigger publisher often have a shared between project game engine. So often the use DirectX for MS consoles and windows PC with the very popular in the game industry visual studio dev tool.

The other platform PS use there development kits
And Apple is also bit moving away from OPENGL
And Linux the use OpenCL

But where the PC windows platform is already much more optional major platform
Apple and lunix are often ignored. why as the are much smaller and triple A means huge sales to merit a port. So often not.
I think the key persons who decide to support API for the pro which often choose both.

For most smaller indies with there small scope games DX12 and vulkan is not that relevant as there requirement are low and uses more higher level tool to produce there game. like Unity 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.