KHX6400D2K2/4G Kingston Hyperx Voltage

Callida

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hiya,

Trying to stablize a very unstable new build. From the symptoms (random restarts and freezes with graphic corruption in corners), the swapping out of harddrives, and getting no errors on a memtest on another stable system I am pretty sure that it is a memory compatibility issue.

I have a Asrock Penryn1600sli (not the wifi one) and it has very un-user friendly bios which limit the voltages I can set it too.

I am trying to set my Kingston Hyperx KHX6400D2K2/4G ram to 800. I have the 5-5-5-15 timings in but am unsure about the voltage. I have seen a range of them on the net from 1.8 to 2.0. What should I being using? I am not trying to overclock I am just trying to stop my computer from freezing and restarting all the time. Also, my bios won't let me do 1.8, only 1.79 and 1.83 and upwards from there.

Does voltage even effect stability like this? I know the CPU isn't overheating so that would really only leave a faulty or evil motherboard, yeah?

Thanks
C

Benjammer

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
You should run a memory testing program (find a free one online) to see if you have gotten bad ram. sometimes it happens.

I checked up on your product on kingstons site,
http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr2.asp

KHX6400D2K2/4G 4GB kit DDR2 800MHz Non-ECC CL5 kit of 2 - 2GB) 5-5-5-15 1.85V

1.85v is best. If you don't have that option for some reason, a little extra voltage shouldn't kill your ram or cause issues, unless its faulty ram maybe.

dchester

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Actually I think if you read the spec sheet it states that it defaults to and is detected as 667 MHz and the 1.80/1.85 voltage is for that speed. If you want to run it at 800 MHz (well that's what you paid for after all!) then you have to up the voltage a bit. I have long lost the spec sheet on mine but I believe it is safe up to 2.1 Volts. Really you have to try it at 1.9 and raise it slowly if it is still unstable up to a maximum of 2.1 Volts. I am revisiting this now after the CMOS battery expired and my settings have been lost. It does not run stable at 800MHz at 1.85 Volts

TRENDING THREADS