Kick-butt Monitors

SantasSecretHelper

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
So, I'm trying to do some early research for my boyfriend's Christmas gift. He's a HUGE gamer and I want to get him the best flat-screen monitor I can to satisfy his competitive streak. Can you help me with some suggestions?

gamerguy1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
LCD Display: BenQ G2400WD 24
"These offer incredibly low response times and almost non-existent input lag."
For a competitive gamer. TN panel colors are very nice now. But any TN panel with a 2ms response time would be good. Any size too.

I myself would order an ISPS panel or MVA with no more than an 8ms response time (24-30" range) if I had the money to order a new LCD. Better colors and picture but worse for serious competition. Personaly I dont mind losing. Playing 10 cool games > playing one as a pro. Dell and HP make some (rebrand?) some very nice monitors and MVA and ISPS prices are down or at least some models are affordable.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
See if you can find out what graphics card/s he's running and we'll advise accordingly - no point getting a sexy 30" monitor if he can't run games at native resolution.

Personally, I'd go with a Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" monitor but I do a lot of photo and video work too.

Do a Google search for gaming monitors and see what comes up, we'll advise from there (although http://www.lge.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2363V.jsp looks good)

And if you do find something really nice, can you be my girlfriend next?

gamerguy1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hey hey. That was inappropriate. What he meant to say is do you have any friends who tolerat....I mean enjoy the company of gamer boyfriends. Either that or he wants to mooch a free monitor off of you.

But yeah that Dell is good. There was a HP 24" with ISPS with a 6ms response time that was around $400. But my guess is that it is discontinued as well as the BENQ I mentioned. But when an item is discontinued its probably replaced by the same company with a comparable or better item.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Light-hearted banter, nothing intended by it.

Was simply joking that it'd be great to have a girlfriend who's geek enough and knows my geek enough to buy me a kick-ass monitor for my birthday - it's not getting the monitor, it's having a girlfriend who thinks a great present would be a monitor, i.e. mindset not wallet.

SantasSecretHelper

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Aw...you guys are making me blush.

What do you think about this one: The Acer® H243H bmid. A 16:9 format display that renders full high-definition video and audio performance. The description says it's good for advanced 1080p full HD gaming and multimedia applications. Also has a 2ms response rate and 40000:1 contrast ratio.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
In a vysnc environment (vista, win7) you will be running 60hz as far as I know. I would be more concerned with resolution, response time, and contrast ratios--which are all good on this monitor.

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009

Hmmmm.. isn't this thread over 3 months old and about what someone wanted to buy their boyfriend for Christmas 2009? :lol:

No offence intended - just couldn't resist!