Kickasstorrents Domain Seized, Owner Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin IT

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Excellent. The US government will spends millions of tax dollars on this and it will not prevent one person from downloading anything.

I just cannot figure out how this country ended up a gazillion dollars in debt.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
why don't they also arrest Al Gore? i mean, he invented the internet [sic.] and the internet contains some amount of illegal material (in the same way that kickass torrents and other sites contained some illegal material). not all torrents are illegal...

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
"Kickasstorrents pulled in an estimated $12.5 to $22.3 million in annual advertising revenues".
How much more could the producers of this content be making if they made it available like this in a legitimate way and allowed people easy access to content.
Considering there are so many torrent sites all gathering advertising revenue as well, i'm sure if you added that all up, it would be a considerable amount of revenue to access and not have to charge for content.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
its the money laundering that got him caught. if he just ran the website, they wouldnt bother going over to poland. but the money laundering is what is gonna get him

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Note: Community guidelines prohibit explicit linked references to illegal download sites. So, y'know. Behave. Can talk about the subject matter without linkage or directing the unprotected to those sites. Thanks for your compliance in this matter.

-JP

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"its the money laundering that got him caught. if he just ran the website, they wouldnt bother going over to poland. but the money laundering is what is gonna get him" No, "Jasonelmore", using G-mail and FB for communications and company business is what got him caught. Stupid practices if you into something illegal.

mrmez

Splendid
More people than ever are willing to pay for content, but sometimes it's just too hard.

In AUS I get 4K Netflix with 4 users for $15/m.
Apple music for about the same.

Suddenly if I want GoT the same year it comes out, I need to pay a minimum of $83/m for pay tv. wtFFFF! I can buy 5x Netflix accounts for 20 users and still have cash left over.

Piracy will never be right, but make it too hard or too expensive, and guess what...

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

At least gmail has more security than the system used by a former Secretary of State.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

That's pretty much how HBO worked in the US. You had to pay $100 month for cable TV(basic cable + the premium channel package that allowed you to pay $15/month for HBO. Oh and don't forget the $20/month STB you must have in order to access the HBO channels and all the stupid regional sports fees because those sports channels would go bankrupt of they were paid channels like HBO)

At least there is HBO-Now now.

mrmez

Splendid
Yep, not sure if it's changed but HBO Now is USA only and I still hear a lot of people complain it looks like 480p.
Also, isn't it Apple Tv or Web browser only???

Some other ways include iTunes/Google for ~$32AUD/season. That route adds up pretty quickly if you want to watch a few series a year.

We even get shafted with Netflix here, missing out on a lot of content that other providers pay for exclusively, which is fine, but then, like you said with pay tv, turn around and make it impossibly expensive.

I'm happy to pay for services like Netflix and Apple music, and just pirate the few remaining as I need.
(We are discussing this honestly after all?)

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I think "pirated" videos are one of the most important ways that "American Values" gets disseminated to other countries around the world. They make American values seem less foreign, make learning the English language more desirable, and can provide some insight into what America is really like, through sources like documentaries and low budget indie films. They speak to or affect people on a deeper individual level so that their opinion of America doesn't change based on one or two incidents. Not knowing what is going on in a country makes that country seem scarier and you start to believe anything that you hear.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If people can't afford it, they'll pirate it. Bringing kickasstorrents down will not help the piracy issue, it will just create the next big pirating giant, stronger than the last one. The only way to end piracy is to deal with it from the core, by making the content available world-wide at an affordable price.

Campos77

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
what next? i would say the US is brazen for trying to extradite old mate back to US for trial. They know no limits and expect to have their way no matter what. As people have already stated other torrent sites will fill the gap with no delay and already have. I torrent pirated stuff all the time and don't see anything wrong with it at all. If its been released to the general public in some form or another it's fair game and everyone can watch. I downloaded Dallas Buyers Club like about 10 times just to wave a red rag in front of the movie's production company and lawyers. Aint nothing like anon prepaid broadband!! lol.

Memhorder

Distinguished
The US Justice Department just wants to put Artem Vaulin's head on a stick to make an example of him. They are also probably getting pressure from some very wealthy people in the movie/music industry who want to see results.

Didn't think there was tens of millions in shady advertisement though, wow. Guess people do click on those.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

I think it is more likely the images that accompany the videos, when you click on screenshots, they get money for sending you to those websites.

BGA___

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
The only problem is...this isnt a file sharing website. It's simply a search engine for torrent files. I still fail to see how that is illegal. It's not like the copyrighted content was stored on kickasstorents's servers and they were disseminating the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.