Kickstarter Form 1 3D Printer Raises $800,000 in 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Standard RepRap Prusas have been printing at this kind of quality for a while now.

0.35mm (350 microns) nozzles are the standard and ones down to 0.15mm are available.

And people can go down to 0.01mm (10 micron) layers.

Check out this for RepRap print quality (admittedly one of the highest quality printed parts ever):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prusajr/6048211970/in/photostream/

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
lovely and epic at the same time,
i can actually see myself getting this to create special design pc parts, like fan vents and much more. but how much does the actual plastic like subs-tense you build whit cost ?
cuss if the machine is pricey but the build material is low cost its not to much of a problem.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]lovely and epic at the same time,i can actually see myself getting this to create special design pc parts, like fan vents and much more. but how much does the actual plastic like subs-tense you build whit cost ?cuss if the machine is pricey but the build material is low cost its not to much of a problem.[/citation]
my experience with 3d printed parts is that they are extremely brittle and fragile.
They are nowhere near as strong or durable as injection molded parts... i.e. they are pretty much for prototyping and little else.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
all i want is a home use 3d printer, because you know the moment they do, people will model action figures and the like in 3d for home printing.

it would probably also be all the kick i need to really learn a 3d program, what with being able get a physical coppy of what i make and all.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
When the resin gets better you will see this popping at shopping malls as a fun thing to watch your creation comes to life without buying the machine. Sounds like a money maker idea.

Can't wait until the resin is much stronger and harder, the print size is much larger, the printing is far more precise and these run about $150. It'll get there in a few years. Who'd have thought 12 years ago that you could get a 1920x1080 23" LCD for less than $150, a 40" 1080p Plasma TV for less than $350 or a color laser printer for less than $150. All of these were more expensive than that 3D printer and not as good as the current cheap counterparts.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]When the resin gets 100x better (stronger) maybe. A good start but a ways to go. The average home user has no use for one in the foreseeable future except for people who just want toys.[/citation]

people who routinely make/buy/paint mainatures.
could print your own custom game pieces,
could probably fabricate body parts for small cars just to make them look cooler
or could completely fabricate your own car body (rc)
you want an action figure, or something cool looking, well here you go

granted i would neve buy into this at ovr 2 grand, but if you got it down to about 2-500$ i could see buying it, but only if the material they use is cheap.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Can't wait until the resin is much stronger and harder, the print size is much larger, the printing is far more precise and these run about $150. It'll get there in a few years. Who'd have thought 12 years ago that you could get a 1920x1080 23" LCD for less than $150, a 40" 1080p Plasma TV for less than $350 or a color laser printer for less than $150. All of these were more expensive than that 3D printer and not as good as the current cheap counterparts.[/citation]

but the lcd because the standard of what we get tvs by, same with plasma
color lazer printers are also a multi function device
a 3d printer, im afraid will always be a specialty item, unless they get so good that you can print most if nto all the things you use.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]how durable would a dildo be?....i am sure that all the hot single geeks women are wondering the same thing lol[/citation]
It's not just sex toys that are going to be an interesting social/political/judicial problem, especially in conservative cultures, but also weapons.

It also makes it nearly impossible for a company to enforce their patents when anyone can easily download a file and make a replica with little investment.

i suspect that in a few years this will have a major impact on the service parts industry. Just think of all those consumer goods that get thrown in landfills because of a little plastic part breaking that costs a fortune from a service parts supplier. If you could access the design over the Internet and quickly (and cheaply) fabricate a replacement, the service parts industry won't be able to justify their 1000% mark-ups.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
jhansonxi: you can't make weapons out of this stuff (I'm assuming you mean guns). The firing forces are wayyyyy too high. You'd blow your hands off. And if you try making a sword, it'd probably break when you use it, even if you made the resin 100x stronger. The resin would have to be stronger than steel and I can safely say that's a fat chance, you're dreaming thing :)

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR! :p

seriously, in a few decades, this will be the issue... unless these 3D printers follow the cutthroat inkjet printer ink pricing...

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]It's not just sex toys that are going to be an interesting social/political/judicial problem, especially in conservative cultures, but also weapons.It also makes it nearly impossible for a company to enforce their patents when anyone can easily download a file and make a replica with little investment.i suspect that in a few years this will have a major impact on the service parts industry. Just think of all those consumer goods that get thrown in landfills because of a little plastic part breaking that costs a fortune from a service parts supplier. If you could access the design over the Internet and quickly (and cheaply) fabricate a replacement, the service parts industry won't be able to justify their 1000% mark-ups.[/citation]
I read a couple of science fiction stories like that, a decade or two ago. And here it is.

In regards to the poor strength of the results: could they be used as prototypes, to make molds? you get the mold and then you can make as many as you want out of long-established materials.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]jhansonxi: you can't make weapons out of this stuff (I'm assuming you mean guns). The firing forces are wayyyyy too high. You'd blow your hands off. And if you try making a sword, it'd probably break when you use it, even if you made the resin 100x stronger. The resin would have to be stronger than steel and I can safely say that's a fat chance, you're dreaming thing :)[/citation]

isnt there a kind of pvc that is good for 1 accurate shot, but after that its worthless for accuracy?

imagine someone who wants to snipe a person.

if you just want the gun to shoot once and be done with it, you could print most of the parts and re enforce what just needs to be stronger.

its sad, but if we want to kill someone, as humans, than we will figure out a way to do it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR! seriously, in a few decades, this will be the issue... unless these 3D printers follow the cutthroat inkjet printer ink pricing...[/citation]

no, you still couldnt, unless you got a car sized printer that uses metal instead of plastic. ill take a guess that in my lifetime that will never be a consumer device.

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]I read a couple of science fiction stories like that, a decade or two ago. And here it is. In regards to the poor strength of the results: could they be used as prototypes, to make molds? you get the mold and then you can make as many as you want out of long-established materials.[/citation]

i was thinking the exact same thing with the molds, except im wondering about quality and the how... id probably want the printer as a negative, wax as a positive, and than bronze as a positive too, because that will evaporate the wax.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]kenyee[/nom]jhansonxi: you can't make weapons out of this stuff (I'm assuming you mean guns). The firing forces are wayyyyy too high. You'd blow your hands off. And if you try making a sword, it'd probably break when you use it, even if you made the resin 100x stronger. The resin would have to be stronger than steel and I can safely say that's a fat chance, you're dreaming thing :)[/citation]
You were Saying? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/wiki-weapon-3d-printer,19551.html

Status
Not open for further replies.