[SOLVED] Kid and Minecraft friendly Linux distro?

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
I'm looking for a version of Linux that would be relatively easy for a 7 and 10 year old to navigate around, who have very little experience with computers. On top of that the same version of Linux that the two kids can play MineCraft and other non-graphical intense games on. Because I have two older laptops, a HP DV6253cl and an HP DV9913cl that I'm dusting off and preparing to give them for their birthdays. Except the Windows version on them is so out of date that Linux, seemed like a good choice. So long as I can find one that the kids can use and learn from.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I found Ubuntu to be superb for a Linux noob like myself. I can only imagine with as quick as today's kids pick up on technology that it would be a breeze for them. What about you? Are you familiar enough to admin a Linux build?
Minecraft can be played on Ubuntu, but quick read though suggests it takes some familiarity with command line in that OS.

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
Ok, LinuxMint or Ubuntu! Thanks, USAFRet and PunkNCat!

I tried using a Linux distro a few years ago, I can't remember which one, but at the time it was rather confusing and I couldn't get much to work on it. So I ended up putting it aside. As for my nephew and niece, once they get more familar with technology I'm sure they'll pick it up fast. Though at first, having an O/S that is easy to navigate will definitely help.

As for myself, even though it's been awhile since I did anything with Linux, I'm sure with that howtogeek link USAFRet provided. I should be able to get it working, if not I can always post questions.