Question KillDisk and removable drives

Feb 23, 2023
Hi. I'm new here. Please be gentle lol. Here's a scenario you maybe able to help me with.
Windows10 with Killdisk installed
USB with unwanted work files on it.
Open Killdisk
Insert USB stick
Window Explorer recognises USB
Folder opens to view files
Set Killdisk away wiping

My question - since Windows has opened my USB - is my PC 'infected' now with the Contents of the USB prior to it being wiped?

Temp Files / Thumbnails?

Any answers appreciated

Dave8671

Distinguished
Shot answer no, not unless you open or copy the contents to your primary drive. Window Explorer is only reading what is on that drive. You meationed infected. Nothing can be infected unless there is a virus in one if the files or the USB drive. Antivirus software can scan the USB drive for viruses .

Reactions: suggs108
Feb 23, 2023
Hi . And thank you for such a prompt reply! . Yeah maybe the word infected was a wrong choice of words .Has USB data been 'transferred' may have been better . I was concerned that I had wiped the drive in question of my work documents but remnants like thumbnails ( you mentioned Windows Explorer) had been transferred to my C Drive. Would Autoplay do this do you know ? Maybe it wasn't Killdisk that opened the folder !

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I was concerned that I had wiped the drive in question of my work documents".

If you are already not doing so, ease your concerns by doing regular backups of your work documents.

At least 2 x copies to locations away from the current host system/drive. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Feb 23, 2023
This:

"I was concerned that I had wiped the drive in question of my work documents".

If you are already not doing so, ease your concerns by doing regular backups of your work documents.
Sorry - I think you misunderstood what I said above . The USB stick held work documents which I was wiping with killdisk . I needed to ensure that no data existed but when I inserted the usb stick into the drive - to commence wiping - the folder popped up and I was concerned that once the folder had popped up that the information held on the USB stick had transferred to temporary files / thumbs etc on Win10.
So a backup isn't necessary to see . I wanted to clear the data - no backup the data

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
You can use Windows Disk Cleanup to remove temporary files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

Key is to take your time and be certain about the "cleaning" actions that you are choosing.

Take a look at the screens beforehand and use "Cancel" to exit if unsure about any selected actions.

The following link can help you preview the process.

https://www.lifewire.com/clean-a-hard-drive-in-windows-5069420

And backups are still necessary for everything else. Just in case...... :)

Ralston18

Titan
A "similar job" - yes. However, details and requirements matter.

There may be some other solution possible that does not require additional software in the form of third party tools and utilities.

Many such tools simply provide a more "user friendly" with the use of basic DOS commands. And in some cases may include a graphical view that is easy to understand and follow.

Windows Disk Cleaner is sufficient for my requirements.

Not using any third party tools or utilities at the time being. Many such products eventually become problematic in one way or another.

At one time CCleaner may have provided functions and features that were otherwise not available. Via Microsoft/Windows or other companies.

I have not used CCleaner [full disclosure] for several years now so must defer to current users.

TRENDING THREADS