Question Killed 2 new motherboards in a row

Aug 25, 2021
Long story short:

• Built new PC a couple of months ago, last week it (screen) suddenly froze and PC didn't boot anymore. Took out all components, still mobo didn't post and there were no beeps. Just spinning fans and RGB.
  • Assumed mobo (GIGABYTE B560M DS3H) died so sent it back. Apparently CPU socket pins were bent so they refused to check it further.
  • Bought new mobo (Asus TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI) and re-assembled. PC worked fine for a couple of hours, then BSOD and power cycle, but again; dead. Doesn't boot anymore.
I'm either cursed or an idiot. Either way I'm now thinking the bent CPU pins happened in transit and at the very least were not the cause of the first mobo dying.

The 'new' mobo now also has the exact same issue. I took out all components but only the fans spin; no post, no beeps. Checked socket pins and they're fine.

The BSOD on the new board was gone so fast I couldn't even see what it said.

I don't know what to do... already ~$300 down the drain and I just know the same thing will happen again when I get yet another mobo.... I don't want to start a mobo graveyard. What can cause this? Some kind of short? But caused by what? How can I find out without doing more damage?

For a second I thought maybe my case didn't have any standoffs, but after taking everything out again; yes it does. I don't know what else can cause a short, if that is even the problem to begin with....

By the way, I don't overclock.

Other components:

Case: be quiet! PURE BASE 500DX Window tower
Mem: G.Skill 32 GB DDR-4 3200
CPU: i5-11600K w/ H410R cooler
GPU: PNY 3070 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
5x SATA, 4SSD and 1HDD
1x M.2 SSD (system)

Aug 25, 2021
Hmmm well there's no way to be sure, but I can't imagine I put any other cables in the PSU. Then again, I do have a lot of such crap in my attic so who knows...

I really had no idea putting PSU cables from another brand/model could be an issue so maybe I did. I can't tell by looking at the cables.

Anyway, you reckon that if I replace the PSU + cables (incl. SATA?) I won't fry another mobo?

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
Long story short:

• Built new PC a couple of months ago, last week it (screen) suddenly froze and PC didn't boot anymore. Took out all components, still mobo didn't post and there were no beeps. Just spinning fans and RGB.
  • Assumed mobo (GIGABYTE B560M DS3H) died so sent it back. Apparently CPU socket pins were bent so they refused to check it further.
  • Bought new mobo (Asus TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI) and re-assembled. PC worked fine for a couple of hours, then BSOD and power cycle, but again; dead. Doesn't boot anymore.
I'm either cursed or an idiot. Either way I'm now thinking the bent CPU pins happened in transit and at the very least were not the cause of the first mobo dying.

The 'new' mobo now also has the exact same issue. I took out all components but only the fans spin; no post, no beeps. Checked socket pins and they're fine.

The BSOD on the new board was gone so fast I couldn't even see what it said.

I don't know what to do... already ~$300 down the drain and I just know the same thing will happen again when I get yet another mobo.... I don't want to start a mobo graveyard. What can cause this? Some kind of short? But caused by what? How can I find out without doing more damage?

For a second I thought maybe my case didn't have any standoffs, but after taking everything out again; yes it does. I don't know what else can cause a short, if that is even the problem to begin with....

By the way, I don't overclock.

Other components:

Case: be quiet! PURE BASE 500DX Window tower
Mem: G.Skill 32 GB DDR-4 3200
CPU: i5-11600K w/ H410R cooler
GPU: PNY 3070 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
5x SATA, 4SSD and 1HDD
1x M.2 SSD (system)
Just by putting in a motherboard and CPU & heatsink all over again to get it perfect, the boards are flexing and hundreds of computer builders are having the same problem. You knew it was the motherboard and to get another one.
After we all have posted this incident, still it continues with everyone with a nativity scene about this event. Time & time again this will happen in the future.

Careful not to flex the motherboard even a little or it seems like the power
foil to the CPU has a hairline crack. How can such a tinsy little copper foil carry that kind of wattage?

We all liked the TUFF motherboards from the past, and now where are the same TUFF motherboards in the future?

Mr. Tibbs has spoken.

Hmmm well there's no way to be sure, but I can't imagine I put any other cables in the PSU. Then again, I do have a lot of such crap in my attic so who knows...

I really had no idea putting PSU cables from another brand/model could be an issue so maybe I did. I can't tell by looking at the cables.

Anyway, you reckon that if I replace the PSU + cables (incl. SATA?) I won't fry another mobo?
If you used cables from a different PSU that could definitely fry a motherboard.

Aug 25, 2021
If you used cables from a different PSU that could definitely fry a motherboard.

Thanks, I had no idea... what an oversight on my part.

Let's say this did indeed happen; is it now dangerous to use the motherboard? A colleague of mine is lending me his left-over PSU so I can test. Can my broken motherboard (if it is) now kill his PSU? Or can I safely test this?

Last edited:

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
It shouldn't kill his psu if you use the cables provided with his left over PSU. Make sure replace all the cables with ones that were supplied (SATA, Power, PCI, etc) with the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS