Killer™ E2200 Network

Solution
It is mostly smoke and mirrors. It can only affect traffic on the one machine so it does nothing to solve issues between machines.

It is almost silly, if you are playing games on your machine and getting performance problems why would you run torrent or downloads at the same time. It is almost simpler to only run the game on the machine when you need good performance rather than use some software to try to fix you doing stupid stuff. It in theory can favor the game traffic but if you are only running the game on your machine then it has nothing to do.

Hard to say if its worth it, you will find lots of posts from people having strange network issues when using killer chipsets.

I will say I am very biased against it after fighting...
It is mostly smoke and mirrors. It can only affect traffic on the one machine so it does nothing to solve issues between machines.

It is almost silly, if you are playing games on your machine and getting performance problems why would you run torrent or downloads at the same time. It is almost simpler to only run the game on the machine when you need good performance rather than use some software to try to fix you doing stupid stuff. It in theory can favor the game traffic but if you are only running the game on your machine then it has nothing to do.

Hard to say if its worth it, you will find lots of posts from people having strange network issues when using killer chipsets.

I will say I am very biased against it after fighting driver issues on a relatives machine and never getting it resolved. The latest motherboard I purchased I made sure I did not get killer network. Many people have no issues but it is painful when the drivers are having issues.

Solution

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

its just marketing, if you have a modem and a router in front of it you get no benefit.
only way to use it properly is when your machine is directly connected to the internet, as in modem in bridge mode and your PC directly connected to it, PC establishing the PPPoE connection in case of DSL, i don't even know whats the cable equivalent.

iamacow

Admirable

This is simply not true lol. I could see getting better results from bypassing the router. But the software prioritize the packets and lowers the ping. Not by much and some games get no benefit, but it does work.

Why would you ever need something to prioritize game packets. If you are worried about game performance you only run the game on your machine. In addition the port always runs at gig speeds even if your internet is much slower. How many packets could you ever queue to get a even a 1ms delay.

And of course it can have no impact at all on traffic coming from other devices in your house.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

do you believe that your router, modem, and multiple ISP routers on the way to the game server don't rearrange the packets?

update: definition of packet switching
"a mode of data transmission in which a message is broken into a number of parts that are sent independently, over whatever route is optimum for each packet, and reassembled at the destination."

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Rearanging packets makes things slower and costs more money, it's generally not done on enterprise connections or backbones. Many high speed backbone connections don't support QoS of any sort. Their speeds are so fast that you can't rearange packets.

Also, in order to rearange packets, they need to be buffered at the same time. Unless a network link is over 80%, they generally don't have more than 10 packets in their buffers at a time. I have a 100Mb connection and even when downloading from 100 peers with BitTorrent, my standing queue typically swings between 5 and 15 packets according to my firewall.