[SOLVED] Killer e2400 giving half the download speed of other devices

Mar 10, 2020
Just upgraded to 400mbps internet. All devices in the house receive 400mbps, whereas my PC with killer e2400 and ethernet caps out at 200mbps. Have tried different cables, redownloading drivers and bios and flushing dns. What is bizarre is that my pc recieves the same upload speed as other devices (50mbps), but precisely half the download speed. Contacted my ISP and it is evident that the problem lies with the network adapter. All software and drivers are up to date. Motherboard is MSI Z170A gaming m5 and I am on windows 10 64. Any thoughts??

Solution
Yes but I would not recommend USB. They have quite a bit of overhead and you need USB3 devices to get gigabit speed. Internal PCIE cards other than putting the card in the machine tend to be simpler to get to function. They are just slightly cheaper in many cases.
Mar 10, 2020
I have. I uninstalled it earlier and instead downloaded the more recent killer control center from the killer website, along with the drivers from there. No luck with either of these applications.

Mar 10, 2020
Ok I did that and all I have left is the "killer performance driver suite UWD" in my applications. Still getting 200 on pc and 400 on iphone.

Killer has it's own QoS. You want to turn off that stuff. All Qos works by implementing some sort of limiter. It could be setup wrong and may be at 200Mbs. Just looking at their page it looks like the main limiter on the top part.

https://www.killernetworking.com/products/killer-e2400/#1538447022425-699b3f7c-5e9e

Turn off hardware offload features as well and check to see if anything changed.

I've never bought a killer nic, I specifically avoid them, I'm not sure if you can just get some generic drivers to work. If you could it would probably just work and not have any of the killer bs.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
Ok, I just followed troubleshooting instructions on the killer website and did a clean install of all the software. I have been mesing with the limiters and Im pretty sure theyre not the issue as I get 205-210 mbps on some tests. Cant seem to find any hardware offload features also. Problem still persisting but wirdly I am getting results slightly above 200 now. Still 400+ on other devices......................:(

Mar 10, 2020
update: started downloading a game on steam and Im getting 45.7MBps and killer control center shows around 360mbps so its kind of working!!!!! But when I try a speedtest I get around 200 again I am so confused anyone have any idea what Im doing wrong

You need to try again to get rid of the killer stuff. You need to download the drivers that were linked farther up the thread. These driver do not have the extra killer stuff in them. In addition you must uninstall the killer app from your machine.

If a motherboard has a killer nic on it I will not buy it. Way too many strange issues....and the whole theory is completely stupid since it only controls traffic on the machine itself it can not impact any other device.

Mar 10, 2020
What about a hardware fix? Can i buy a usb to ethernet adapter and use it instead of the killer adapter? Or am I stuck with the killer adapter..

Yes but I would not recommend USB. They have quite a bit of overhead and you need USB3 devices to get gigabit speed. Internal PCIE cards other than putting the card in the machine tend to be simpler to get to function. They are just slightly cheaper in many cases.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS