Question Killer ethernet controller wont stay uninstalled?

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
Been having problems with slow and occasional disconnecting internet on my PC for a few weeks now. Only happens on my PC which should be a lot faster than my other devices but really isnt.

Looked at my properties for my network adapter and saw that is had a speed of 10Mbps. Don't know when this changed as it was not always like this. Decided to reinstall my network driver through MSI live update but after restarting my internet is massively worse. Taking minutes to load a google search. Although the adapter speed is apparently now at 100Mbps.

Tried manually uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but when I uninstall I can't find the "unknown" device in device manager until I "Scan for hardward changes" when the adapter reappears in its uninstalled state "Killer E2200 gigabit ethernet controller", even when the driver download file isnt on the system.

Even tried just manually updating over the current driver but apparently windows says this is the best driver.

Stuck for what to do at the moment as my internet is so slow and reinstalling network drivers doesnt seem to be working.

On the first generation of killer stuff people used to load realtek drivers but I don't think that works any more. The best option for killer chipsets is to load the drviers from their site that are the drivers only. They have removed the extra "killer" support from these. Hard to say killer constantly messes up their drivers which is why people have so much issues.

It should not load killer drivers if you do not have a killer chipset. Maybe a prediction from the future now that intel bought the parent company of killer. We can only hope intel does not go down the path of selling this crap technology.

Reactions: SamirD

Josh-Sweeny

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
On the first generation of killer stuff people used to load realtek drivers but I don't think that works any more. The best option for killer chipsets is to load the drviers from their site that are the drivers only. They have removed the extra "killer" support from these. Hard to say killer constantly messes up their drivers which is why people have so much issues.

It should not load killer drivers if you do not have a killer chipset. Maybe a prediction from the future now that intel bought the parent company of killer. We can only hope intel does not go down the path of selling this crap technology.
I have already downloaded and installed the driver only files. What I meant to say is that whenever I uninstall the current driver and restart my pc or press "scan for hardware changes" it just reappears in my device list, without me even needing to reinstall the new driver.

I downloaded Killers own uninstall software that apparently found some software and uninstalled it. The same issue persisted as when i rebooted, the driver was still there but my internet speed went actually back to "normal" (still slow) speed temporarily. It is now randomly extremely slow again (peaks at ~300kbps according to resource monitor). I can easily get 34Mb/s on my laptop on wireless on the 3rd floor when the router is on the 1st.

One thing that may be worth noting is that my upload speed as stayed consistent throughout this. always at ~16Mb/s even when the download speed varies.