Killing DDR3 with 8 GB?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

If he's using a 1366 motherboard he must be using the 920 or above,so it will support tripple channel.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

How much do you have now? if you are using 8,you can try taking a 2gb stick off it.but i have not heard about it yet.

if you have a 3 and 1 configuration you are running in single channel mode giving you limited bandwidth, if you switch it so that you have either 3 sticks, 1 in each channel or 2 sticks in each channel you will have slightly better performance. The i7 memory controller will run in single, dual or triple channel mode depending on the memory configuration.

In general though, memory is rarely the bottleneck and triple channel vs dual channel shows limited performance increases, i wouldnt spend more money on ram as a quick swap to dual channel mode will mean that you lose almost no performance and your system will never need to use that much unless you plan to do video editing in which case it might use up to 12GB of ram.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
if my thought are right,activating XMP will configure the ram settings for you,i think it will help it to run it in triple channel?
Anyway i still cant understand why he's saying 8gb will kill the performance

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

you are saying the memory kills a 1366 mobo.it doesn't make sense.today hundreds of ppl are running 8gb in a 1366 mobo.
if you could post the sources where you found that,i can't find something like that in google

TRENDING THREADS