RealX1

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I have a very specific question. I have a good ide drive(I realize its slower) but i have a sata motherboard. I'm going to use a usb to ide converter so I can plug my drive into my usb port. This makes it an external drive. Usually people use this method to transfer/receive data from their drive(it does show up as a drive). What I don't know is if the drive can be bootable or programs be launched from it?

mikeangs2004

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
No. It is considered USB mass storage once connected to USB port. So you cannot boot from it as an INTERNAL system OS drive. However just like any flash drive, you can boot from it during system startup. Only programs stored on a zip file format can be ran from a flash drive like device.

RealX1

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies! I was thinking of using a bootable win xp flash drive to run the computer. Can programs be installed onto the external ide drive and run from the main drive(xp)?

mikeangs2004

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

I already answered this question. No, only small programs stored in a zip file format can be ran from a flash drive like device from the OS.

This is completely and totally wrong. Any harddrive attached via USB is seen as a harddrive. you can install windows to it, you can set it as the primary boot device. you can install programs to it. a zip file is just an achive and CANNOT be run.

TRENDING THREADS