(kind of) Quick question about my MSi GTX 980

No u

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
So, I have been having problems with usage in some of the games I play. In BF4 it is the worst with my gpu only outputting 60% average usage. BF3 is better, hovering around 80-85%. Both graphs of the usage are very spikey. Contrary to that, when I run the Unigene Heaven Benchmark 4.0, I get scores that line up perfectly with ones that I find online. Also, just in the benchmark will the gpu hit a constant 99% (100%) usage. So, my question is whether or not the problem lies in the 980 itself. If the problem lies in elsewhere (like in the the driver or something), then I can take my time to solve, but if the problems lies in the gpu, then I need to maybe consider an RMA, and the clock is ticking for that (at least for New egg). Q: Does the fact that my benchmark scores with the gpu are good prove that it is in perfect functioning condition, or is there still a possiblilty that there is a problem with the card itself?

Here is a picture of my gpu usage when I play BF3.
YQ9gjgL.png

Solution
Battlefield series are very CPU intensive.
Battlefield 4 is more CPU intensive than Battlefield 3.
Heaven benchmark is GPU intensive, not CPU intensive because it's a GPU benchmark.

---You have not listed your CPU, but regardless of that it is you are CPU Limited. This CPU limitation can even clearly be seen by the 100% CPU usage across ALL cores on MSI afterburner. ---To fully utilize your GTX 980 you will need a faster CPU.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Battlefield series are very CPU intensive.
Battlefield 4 is more CPU intensive than Battlefield 3.
Heaven benchmark is GPU intensive, not CPU intensive because it's a GPU benchmark.

---You have not listed your CPU, but regardless of that it is you are CPU Limited. This CPU limitation can even clearly be seen by the 100% CPU usage across ALL cores on MSI afterburner. ---To fully utilize your GTX 980 you will need a faster CPU.

Solution

No u

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
My cpu is the i5 4670k. (I probably should have posted this but I already have a different thread dedicated to finding the problem). I probably should mention that the cores get up to 79-80 degrees C. I just made this thread to be sure the 980 wasn't defective at all.
So, you would agree the 980 is perfectly fine?

Here is a picture of a benchmark
3xyIB7G.jpg

No u

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

My i5 4670k should be fine on performance, but i still plan on upgrading my cooler to a small water cooling unit.
p.s. I just posted the some an actual benchmark score if you want to see.