[SOLVED] Kinda strange behavior with my sapphire rx5700 xt

Jul 9, 2019
So pretty much, I've noticed some strange things with newly bought card.

I have old 60mHz monitor. I was testing out new card in BF5 with vSync on.

For some reason, on ultra with\without vSync (using in game fps meter) I cant get stable 60 fps, instead I have drops drops to 57-58 fps.

Not to mention my card is having like 45 degrese temp during the game.

The strangest point is that even if I set everything to low, It seems like I cant get hight fps even with vSync offed.

Also I've made a run in a Heaven and used wattman to see the friquences and so on. And they were boosing alright and I had like over 100 fps in it on ultra preset.

So I wounder what is this kind of behavior.

My CPU is i7 8700k and I run card in the right bios switch.

Solution
1)1080p 60hz monitor?

2)Blame Windows for the 57-58fps. If I enable monitor sync, it bounces between 143-144fps. Not a big deal. Try a different graphics driver? Not sure if it's worth trying to fix.

3)45 degrees means the RX 5700XT is hardly being used, or maybe not at all. My 1080Ti idles around that temp with the fans off.

4)Fps not improving after dropping graphics settings/eye candy usually points to a cpu or memory limitation. Are you running a single stick of memory? Done any virus scans lately?

5)It runs fine in HB. Could be a broken in-game update. Have you tested this in other games?
Post the link to the results.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)1080p 60hz monitor?

2)Blame Windows for the 57-58fps. If I enable monitor sync, it bounces between 143-144fps. Not a big deal. Try a different graphics driver? Not sure if it's worth trying to fix.

3)45 degrees means the RX 5700XT is hardly being used, or maybe not at all. My 1080Ti idles around that temp with the fans off.

4)Fps not improving after dropping graphics settings/eye candy usually points to a cpu or memory limitation. Are you running a single stick of memory? Done any virus scans lately?

5)It runs fine in HB. Could be a broken in-game update. Have you tested this in other games?
Post the link to the results.

Reactions: Ckun
Solution
Jul 9, 2019

So yeah, firstly I thought to write an answer, but instead I did a userbenchmark. And ... GPU completely failed shadow test having 0.1 fps lol.

I decided to remove driver, was like the newest beta build or something (didnt notice that its not recommended by the AMD themselves), then redone benchmark and after that it passed all the tests.

Then tested it in BF5 and finally got reasonable FPS without vsync, around 80-90 on ultra (a bit lower then I expected, but it seems like BF5 had and update that ruined perfomance a bit + again might be not the best driver out there).

So yeah, pretty much AMD in driver crysis right now lol.
Everything was working, everything was fine, even good in Heaven and badly un-optimized game (hell let lose) on ultra, except for BF5. Ended up being driver was half-broken ... THE FUTURE IS HERE.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So yeah, firstly I thought to write an answer, but instead I did a userbenchmark. And ... GPU completely failed shadow test having 0.1 fps lol.

I decided to remove driver, was like the newest beta build or something (didnt notice that its not recommended by the AMD themselves), then redone benchmark and after that it passed all the tests.

Then tested it in BF5 and finally got reasonable FPS without vsync, around 80-90 on ultra (a bit lower then I expected, but it seems like BF5 had and update that ruined perfomance a bit + again might be not the best driver out there).

So yeah, pretty much AMD in driver crysis right now lol.
Everything was working, everything was fine, even good in Heaven and badly un-optimized game (hell let lose) on ultra, except for BF5. Ended up being driver was half-broken ... THE FUTURE IS HERE.
This is the norm for brand new tech - the 'early adopter's tax, if you will. The company that made the product has design drivers for it, Microsoft has to make drivers too...
There's bound to be bugs, and they'll get ironed out in time, a 'it gets better with age' thing.
Not everyone will experience these driver problems.