Question KingspecCF SSD on Toshiba

Dec 16, 2019
I have a Toshiba Portege R100 which is a notebook that uses a Kingspec 1.8" CF SSD as a hard drive, My problem is I want firstly to take a backup of everything on it as I have no recovery dish and cant find one anywhere. Then I want to try something like Lubuntu or another light linux distro on it. Then if it doesnt work out I can put the Windows 7 (currently on it) or XP on it again. I am stumped that I notice tghe kingspec 50 interface connector looks the same as a CF card interface but I am not sure its 100% pin compatable. But I try pluging it into a CF to IDE adaptor and then into a ide to USB adaptor but the SSD is not recognised in Linux or Windows. I also tried doing this with a Ide to Sata as well but no luck either. I havent tried yet plugging it into a IDE socket on a motherboard but thought I would check I am going about this the right way.
anyone help with whether is is possible.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2019
Are you sure it uses that SSD? Spec shows it come with a 40 GB IDE drive with an optional HDD1232CZP41002 Toshiba 5GB Type II PC Card HDD w/Back-up software (same as aToshiba MK 5002MPL ) and a SD card port. Specs for MK5002 :https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-mk-5002mpl-hard-drive-5-gb-pc-card-series/. Can you get the info off through the USB? https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Memory-Toshiba-Adapter-Cables/dp/B00NPTXJTC

You actually might be right. The model number on the underside of the laptop is: pa3272u 1mpc which as far as I can make out is a R100. In the drive bay it looks like there is no room for a proper drive as the whole computer is so slim. It just has a 50 pin (male) connector strip on a ribbon to which the SSD plugs to. This could be a CF connector or sililar. This is a annoying laptop in that it refuses to boot from a external usb DVD drive unless you have the proper Tohiba one which plugs into the pcmia port. So I cant get to install from a disc. I thought if I can get the SSD to read in linux I can back it up on my main Linux desktop and then fit the SSD to my desktop and install linux onto it that way. Then once done swap it back into the laptop as linux would reconfigure itself. Its the only way I can see to reinstall any operating system back onto it. It madness as if it got a virus that damaged the OS it couldn't be reinstalled without their special Toshiba external dvd drive.
I dd notice someone already asked a similar question on here about this laptop many years ago. I really just want to get this SSD to connect to another PC so I can back it up and put linux on it. The SSD will plug into a CF card to IDE adaptor so I expected it could be read on my pc.

TRENDING THREADS