[SOLVED] Kingston 240gb SSD speed on sata 2 and 3

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
Hey guys sorry for asking this if it's allready been asked and answered.

I just bought a Gigabyte H61M-DS2 motherboard and it seems it doesnt have SATA 3, only sata 2

Also I just bought a kingston 240GB SSD, in its box descriptiom, it says SATA 3 but with compatibility with SATA 2

Does connecting it to SATA 2 have the same speed with SATA 3? or should I bought another motherboard with SATA 3?

is the difference in changing motherboard with SATA 3 gives alot of speed difference?

Solution
Most SATA3 add in card controllers are crap, as expressed here, and as I can personally validate having used a fair number of them. At least when you are using it on a SATA 2 board, but in general as well.

If you want SATA3 speeds, get a SATA3 board. No matter what you do, no board old enough to have been limited to SATA 2 controllers is going to have the same speeds over the PCI bus that a SATA 3 board has.
It can only perform at SATA 2 speeds when connected to a motherboard that only supports SATA 2 speeds. If you want SATA 3 speeds, you will need a motherboard that supports the SATA 3 standards. Max SATA 2 speed is 3Gb/s while it is 6Gb/s for SATA 3, so double, so yes, it IS a significant difference.

There's a difference. I have SATA I, II and III computers with SSD. SATA I to III is noticeably different. SATA II to III feels mildly different. You can just get a SATA III PCIe card for your SSD.

Please note with SATA cards. If Windows is already installed. Plug the card into the motherboard. Leave the SSD connected to the motherboard. Boot Windows and install the drivers for the card. Then shutdown, plug the SSD into the card, change the card to first in the boot priority and boot back into Windows.

Most SATA3 add in card controllers are crap, as expressed here, and as I can personally validate having used a fair number of them. At least when you are using it on a SATA 2 board, but in general as well.

If you want SATA3 speeds, get a SATA3 board. No matter what you do, no board old enough to have been limited to SATA 2 controllers is going to have the same speeds over the PCI bus that a SATA 3 board has.

Solution

Zaraki Zenken Besin

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
thank you guys, my question has been answered, it seems its better to get a board with sata 3, ill just sell the motherboard i just bought and buy another one.

charge to experience i guess, thank you all for those who replied and not.