[SOLVED] Kingston 480gb SSD only 100mb disk space available?

May 19, 2020
I just popped my new Kingston out of its box and connected it to the motherboard. So far so good. Starting Windows up, it shows the drive there immediately and allows me to assign it a letter, but the hard drive is shown to have only 100mb disk space at maximum and 74 available out of that in all systems. What is going on?

Solution
In almost every case I've ever seen of a drive B it's a partition windows creates to store its pristine CAD files or a partition created by an OEM to keep its factory original repair files. But B drive will be a partition on C drive. I've never seen an added drive get 'given' B as a drive spec, additional drives are lettered above C (plus optical reservation ), so usually start at E and go upwards. Drive A being reserved for floppy.

So the only way you'd get a 100Mb partition on that drive would be if it's a used drive that someone had as a boot drive for OS, replaced it and was smart enough to format both B and C, but not smart enough to bypass the boot partition lock.

Many people in returns departments would just check to see if...
May 19, 2020
What is the E drive...the Dynamic thing?

E: is a different SSD I bought roughly a year ago. Works fine.

The issue is, the 100MB partition appeared in My Computer only after I inserted in the new 480GB SSD. BIOS is finding the 480GB in contact with one of the SATA's and apart from this 100MB apparition there is nothing else new showing up.

The issue is, the 100MB partition appeared in My Computer only after I inserted in the new 480GB SSD. BIOS is finding the 480GB in contact with one of the SATA's and apart from this 100MB apparition there is nothing else new showing up.
I would disconnect all the drives and only connect the new ssd and boot up parted magic on the ultimate boot cd live cd/usb. Then you can see the drive if it shows up, test it, partition it, and then try booting with all the drives.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In almost every case I've ever seen of a drive B it's a partition windows creates to store its pristine CAD files or a partition created by an OEM to keep its factory original repair files. But B drive will be a partition on C drive. I've never seen an added drive get 'given' B as a drive spec, additional drives are lettered above C (plus optical reservation ), so usually start at E and go upwards. Drive A being reserved for floppy.

So the only way you'd get a 100Mb partition on that drive would be if it's a used drive that someone had as a boot drive for OS, replaced it and was smart enough to format both B and C, but not smart enough to bypass the boot partition lock.

Many people in returns departments would just check to see if anything was on it, and it'd come up empty, they'd not run a partition check or pay attention to the size of the partition or how many.

Just redo the partitions, do not reset it to B, use F as a single partition the size of the entire drive. Use GPT not MBR.

Solution