[SOLVED] Kingston A1000 compatibility with MSI B150M PRO-VDH

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know if the Kingston A1000 480 GB SSD is compatible with the B150M PRO-VDH that I bought in 2016 or not? There is a vertical PCIe slot but I dont know if the SSD is supported there.
MoBo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-PRO-VDH.html
I would greatly appreciate if someone could check it out for me. Thanks
That motherboard appears to not have an M.2 port, which that drive requires.

Solution

novopro

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
For that board, yes.
And to be honest...for a LOT of use cases (most?), you'd not notice any difference.
Ok thanks man! Could you also suggest some budget 500GB SSDs in the similar price range(tight budget) please?

btw I am switching from hard disks. I researched a bit and thought why not go with the best(nvme) but now I cant :( if it is not much of a difference in performance, then I could roll with it as a hdd to ssd jump would still be pretty cool

novopro

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
Crucial MX500 is probably the best choice.

There are cheaper ones, but I wouldn't suggest one.

The change from HDD to SATA III SSD is huge.
The move to NVMe is not so huge.

Thanks man! How long do these last? Also, what is the difference between the BX500 and MX500? They are almost similarly priced in my country.

novopro

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
MX500 is the better choice.

How long? Years and years.
You can probably use that drive on your next system. And the one after that.

I heard some people say that a SSD cannot be used after a certain amount of data read/written or something like that. What about this?
And finally, thank you for answering all my crude and basic queries with patience.

USAFRet

Titan
I heard some people say that a SSD cannot be used after a certain amount of data read/written or something like that. What about this?
And finally, thank you for answering all my crude and basic queries with patience.
This is true. Each "cell" on the drive has a certain number of write cycles. Then, it can no longer be used.

However...that number is huge. In my parts list below, the 2x Samsung 840 EVO drives have been in this system since 2015. Literally 24/7 use. And showing zero sign of fail or degradation.

Yes, they are limited. But that limit is HUGE.
It will last years.

TRENDING THREADS