Question Kingston A400 960GB SSD hits 100% and looses all it's speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GYFX

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
Hi, I have a really weird problem with my new SSD that's basically making my brain hurt.

The SSD works just fine the first hour or so of initiating windows, writes speed and read speed are exelent, tested in CrystalDisk and everything is fine, SMART is fine (by CrystalDisk too). But once it reach some time (maybe even a certain amount of data????) it just becomes impossible to use. The disk goes to %100 usage and the response time just jumps upwards of 10000ms for some time (usually 20mins) and then when it goes back to "normal" the SSD just becomes a brick of data with speeds of 100kb max and the only fix is reseting the pc.
The most weird part is: Nothing else gets used or makes a problem, processor it just chilling, RAM it just using the needed amount for Windows.

SSD is new, I installed a new windows (4 times already), tried different drivers (kingston SSD manager is dog water tho), tried disabling Superfetch, windows update/defender, I even tried to deactivate the cache writing and virtual memory of Windows, at this point it's probably not a software problem.

Now while I may have some ideas of what the problem could be maybe someone has a little more of an idea than me:
Sata cables while "old" they were working just fine with an HDD.
Motherboard while "old" it was/is working fine.
Processor is basically new.
Power Suply???? I mean it's old but doesn't make any sense, the thing would just not power at all if it was.
Or the SSD is broken somehow but the SMART can't detect it.

Either the Sata cables are doing some weird black magic (most probably) or my motherboard Sata slots are too old?. At this point I don't know anymore.

TLDR everything works just fine but once the SSD hit a threshold it just becomes a brick and I have to reset the pc to make it "normal" again.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 362816

Run this upload a photo might as well see if it's dying.

GYFX

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
Run this upload a photo might as well see if it's dying.

BJRTwPx.png

D

Deleted member 362816

Weird everything looks as it should. Not supper common in disk management re-add that 100GB to your C drive and see if it helps any.

Just so to look a bit more please list all system specs.

D

Deleted member 362816

Everything is new enough to not cause a issue. I hate to say it but without crystal showing any issues I would just exchange it or RMA it to avoid the headache of trying to figure this out. I really would try a new sata cable, even it if works on a HDD might be having issues with the bandwidth of the ssd

Reactions: GYFX

GYFX

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
Yeah, I was just asking just to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I will have to try with a new Sata cable just to be sure because the SSD works flawlessly otherwise. So it's either my mobo or the Sata cable.

D

Deleted member 362816

Yeah, I was just asking just to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I will have to try with a new Sata cable just to be sure because the SSD works flawlessly otherwise. So it's either my mobo or the Sata cable.

True. Wish you luck.

Aug 3, 2022
i haven't looked them all up but isnt the kingston a400 range one of the low spec ssd's with rubbish cache?

Suggest a quick check of a400 vs samsung evo (or even qvo) speed and specs

Now while I may have some ideas of what the problem could be maybe someone has a little more of an idea than me:
Power Suply???? I mean it's old but doesn't make any sense, the thing would just not power at all if it was.
Or the SSD is broken somehow but the SMART can't detect it.
Either the Sata cables are doing some weird black magic (most probably) or my motherboard Sata slots are too old?. At this point I don't know anymore.
Problem is your SSD. It's garbage.
A lot of people are having problems with this cheap as$ A400 model.
Return it and get Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo (if you can afford it).

D

Deleted member 362816

Problem is your SSD. It's garbage.
A lot of people are having problems with this cheap as$ A400 model.
Return it and get Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo (if you can afford it).

Have any documented proof from a reasonable source to back this up?
They had a firmware issue in 2019 but I am pretty sure newer units have been fixed.

GYFX

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
New update and it's basically "resolved". Like the post above says, the problem was the SSD. While it doesn't show any signs of damage/bad clusters/ or some kind of errors from SMART, the SSD is having problems once the cache (You can see this using the windows Resource Monitor) and once it's full it never flush away or some sort of "glitch" that makes the SSD throttle hard and starts having problems.

TLDR: Don't be cheap like me, buy something from Samsung or Crucial.

Reactions: JPor
Status
Not open for further replies.