[SOLVED] Kingston a400 SSD on SATA 1

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Hi. Im unable to install windows (tried win7 and win10) in a new Kingston a400 240GB SSD. BIOS not recognize drive (Wistron 30B2 motherboard)

Its an old laptop that I wanted to recover just like in this thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/2256575/
Everyone was telling me that this laptop will fly with a SSD but no luck so far. I just bought this SSD I dont know if I should return it.

Ubuntu live USB is able to create partitions and read and write files; even windows 10 installation is able to create files using shift+F10 during setup and running notepad.exe =(.

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
The A400 is only a 4k byte sector (size) based drive and you need one that is 512byte based so your old laptop just can't work with it.

Whats your budget and where might you be purchasing from?
Wow ! never heard of that limitation.
I guess I will spend another $75 USD or so but I have to return this one first =/. Bought current one in amazon.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Do you think re-flashing the BIOS will do something about that limitation?

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Yes Thats a very similiar laptop but not exactly the same tough. Mine is HP dv2225la and the south bridge is ICH7 (Intel)

Is there any way to know for sure what SSD to buy?