Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 slow write speed

Tyw7

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Solution
That isn't a fast flash drive (hence the low price), I am not surprised you are getting around 5MB/s, just because it is compatible with USB3 doesn't mean it will operate at those speeds when writing. Most if not all cheap flash drives with USB3 capability will write slowly but read quickly.
That isn't a fast flash drive (hence the low price), I am not surprised you are getting around 5MB/s, just because it is compatible with USB3 doesn't mean it will operate at those speeds when writing. Most if not all cheap flash drives with USB3 capability will write slowly but read quickly.

Solution

Tyw7

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

So how much would get a good drive?

So they just boost read speed when plugged in 3?

Read performance will go most likely increase on USB 3. A good drive can cost quite a lot or not so much depending on the speed you are looking for. If you need/want better speeds on USB flash drives it is best to look at the reviews and specs before buying, fast USB Flash drives will list Read and Write specifications (to increase sales), while the slow ones will not include that data.

Rob_57

Reputable
Nov 14, 2016
Well I never - I kind of assumed Kingston, as a reputable manufacturer, would be okay. But 3 years later from this post and I'm wondering why my DataTraveler 3 is writing so slow. Spot about fast read speeds though. Not end of world. Was cheap ;-) I tend to use USB drives for bootable Windows 10 images so there is a lot of data been written on there.