[SOLVED] Kingston Fury Renegade compatibility with AMD B550 chipset?

milan777

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
Hello,

I am considering to buy one of two modules Kingston HyperX Fury HX436C18FB3/32 or Kingston Fury Renegade Black KF432C16RB/32 . Both should not have big performance differences, I guess, but Renegade is newer RAM. So there is compatibility question.

My motherboard is Gigabyte B550M DS3H and processor AMD Ryzen 3900X.

Do you know of any compatibility issues that might happed with this new Renegade Black module or I need nothing to worry about compatibility here? Cause I might buy HyperX instead, I know that this module worked and is listed in Gigabyte's memory compatibility list.

Thank you.

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I have HyperX Fury HX436C18FB4K2/32. On an Asus X470 mobo. This RAM was manufactured in june this year. Do you think it is on the QVL list of my mobo? Of course it isn't. Does it work? Of course it does. Not only at XMP 3600 Mhz but with the same timings even at 3800 Mhz.
QVL says next to nothing. Not like they test every RAM stick on the market every month on every motherboard they have.

milan777

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
Thank you for your reply. So are there any other members that can partially or fully confirm that this modules will work?

I think that there shouldn't be any reason why this wouldn't work because it's all DDR4 compatible, but I just want to be sure.

Renegade Black is just a fancy name for heatsink package, otherwise same as just Furry. All DDR4 will work just fine and QVL is essentially just a partial list of all available RAM, more or less just a guide of what kind of memory MB would gladly accept and MB manufacturer actually tested. If you choose a RAM that's not on QVL but has same parameters as one that is, it's sure to work just as well.
3600MHz RAM with reasonable Cas latency will be quite faster than any 3200MHz and Ryzen thrives with faster memory.
Both,3900x and MB are compatible with 3600MHz+ but only if there are only 2 modules, with 4 modules it's more limited.

milan777

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
Renegade Black is just a fancy name for heatsink package, otherwise same as just Furry. All DDR4 will work just fine and QVL is essentially just a partial list of all available RAM, more or less just a guide of what kind of memory MB would gladly accept and MB manufacturer actually tested. If you choose a RAM that's not on QVL but has same parameters as one that is, it's sure to work just as well.
3600MHz RAM with reasonable Cas latency will be quite faster than any 3200MHz and Ryzen thrives with faster memory.
Both,3900x and MB are compatible with 3600MHz+ but only if there are only 2 modules, with 4 modules it's more limited.

Thank you CountMike, I plan to place 4 modules. Also it will not mind with the less MHz if you meant that when you mentioned 2 modules case?

Thank you CountMike, I plan to place 4 modules. Also it will not mind with the less MHz if you meant that when you mentioned 2 modules case?
Only 5000 series Ryzen on 550/570 chipset can handle both memory channels (4 sticks) at higher speeds. So for your setup, if you want 4x8GB kit, to go for 3200MHz or even better 2x16GB 3600MHz.
4x8GB at 3600NHz would also work but at speed reduced to no more than 3200MHz. If price difference is no object, you can get that and use full speed if you ever upgrade to 5000 Ryzen.

milan777

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
Only 5000 series Ryzen on 550/570 chipset can handle both memory channels (4 sticks) at higher speeds. So for your setup, if you want 4x8GB kit, to go for 3200MHz or even better 2x16GB 3600MHz.
4x8GB at 3600NHz would also work but at speed reduced to no more than 3200MHz. If price difference is no object, you can get that and use full speed if you ever upgrade to 5000 Ryzen.

Thank you for reply. So there shouldn't be a problem running 4 x 32GB of Renegade on 3900X, if there is written that both Motherboard and Processor supports up to 128GB of dual-channel DDR4 3200MHz RAM?