Kingston Hyperx and normal kingston memory

G

Hello,

Can I mix Kingston Hyperx and "normal" kingston RAMs? So, here's what I'm asking: I have two memory modules in dual channel: 2X1GB Kingston "normal" memory modules DDR2 800MHz CL5 Non-ECC. And I have another two 2X1 GB Kingston Hyperx memory modules with the same specifications: DDR2 800MHz CL5 Non-ECC.
Can I use the four memory modules in this way: Channel 1: 2X1GB normal kingston ram (in dual channel) and Channel 2: 2X1GB Hyperx kingston ram (in dual channel)?

Motherboard: Asus P5QL-PRO

Thanks!

Yes, you can, but it isn't recommended. Mixing RAM of any style with any other style typically leads to random BSOD. There is more to RAM than just the Big 3 (Frequency, Latency, and Voltage).

G

Thanks for replying,

Just to confirm: If I install the memory modules in dual channel in this way, will not it work?

1: (DIMM A1 and B1): 2X1 GB "normal/value RAM" Kingston 800MHz DDR2 CL5 (in Dual Channel)

2: (DIMM A2 and B2): 2X1GB Hyperx Kingston DDR2 800MHz CL5 (in Dual Channel)

OR if I install the RAMs in single channel in this way:

1: (DIMM A1 and A2): 2X1 GB "normal/value RAM" Kingston 800MHz DDR2 CL5

2: (DIMM B1 and B2): 2X1GB Hyperx Kingston DDR2 800MHz CL5

Will any of the two configurations work?

Thanks

In theory, they should. The recommendation against mixing is to avoid the possibility of your system crashing. That's not to say, though, that anytime you mix RAM, you will encounter crashing, rather there is a possibility.

When all four modules are in, you may find that the system is unstable. This is due to the motherboard being unable to provide the correct/sufficient amount of voltage to the modules. This can (often) be corrected by adjusting the voltage to the DIMM slots through your BIOS.

G

Thanks again for the reply,

Another question:
And if I only use a Kingston Hyperx DDR2 800MHz CL5 RAM 4GB KIT (2X2GB) in dual channel will it work properly? Will the BIOS auto-configure the RAM settings (Frequency, latency, ...) or do I have to set it up manually?

The RAM is: KHX6400D2B1K2/4G
Motherboard: Asus P5QL-PRO
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E7400

Thanks

By default, all BIOS are set to [Auto], when it comes to RAM settings. When left on auto, the motherboard will be able to fluctuate the frequency, timing, and voltage, in the interest of saving power/reducing heat.

In order to attain the settings specified on the package or sticker affixed to the RAM module, you'll have to manually configure them in the BIOS.

G

I have another question:

I don't need Hyperx ram (since I don't want to overclock my system/ram) so I will only use kingston valueram.

My question: I currently have a Kingston Valueram 2GB kit (2x1 GB modules) DDR2 800MHz CL5 in dual channel.

I am going to replace it with a Kingston Valueram 4GB kit (2x2 GB modules) DDR2 800MHz CL6 in dual channel. Memory type: KVR800D2N6K2/4G.
But, will it work with my motherboard? I'm asking this because the current RAM has CL5 timing and the new RAM has CL6 timing. (I will have only the 4GB KIT in my motherboard). Do I have to setup the BIOS memory settings manually or will it automatically detect and apply the correct settings (frequency, latency, voltage, ...)?

Motherboard: asus p5ql pro
CPU: Intel core2duo e7400
graphics card: asus eah3450

Thanks

The motherboard can support 800 MHz RAM. Whether or not the specific model/brand you want to use will work is impossible to know. Applying the "correct" settings is a subjective question. The answer (I believe) you're looking for is that the motherboard will set the RAM to settings that will work. These settings are set by the SPD.

SPD is an acronym for Serial Presence Detect, which is a chip that is on each of the RAM modules. This setting is configured by the RAM manufacturer. When the motherboard BIOS is left on [Auto], the motherboard will use the SPD settings, which again, allows the motherboard to fluctuate the timing, voltage, and frequency.

If you want to use your RAM, whether it be value or performance modules, at its most optimal settings, you'll have to manually configure it in the BIOS. For example, the RAM you're interested in using can be used a max frequency of 800 MHz, and if you wanted to use your RAM at 800 MHz, you must manually set the RAM to 800 MHz in the BIOS.

G

OK, thanks. I checked the Kingston website and the Asus website to check the RAM compatibility, and both says it's (the valueram 4gb kit) compatible. I left BIOS settings on Auto (the default setting), and everything works properly.