Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Headset Review: Near-Perfect At $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacgnol06

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
So how do these compare to the long-standing king of flat, natural sound reproduction, the Sony MDR-V6?

I mean credit where it's due, Kingston's headsets are passable in a sea of mediocrity for the sake of a "gaming" label, but I'd never pick these over a 20 year old, sound engineer's standard. So what am I getting for the $10 or so price difference? A mediocre microphone?

And of course, for gaming I'd go with something with meatier sound to begin with.

ynhockey

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
I have this headset and it's quite good, but I don't understand why most new headsets have a separate detachable microphone. In the recent past there were many mid-range and high-end headsets with microphones folding into the headset itself, and I don't understand why they have almost stopped doing this. This was extremely convenient in previous headsets I owned.

If it doesn't have a suspension band, then it's hardly "perfect".

It's literally the only way to go for a good, ergonomic pair of headphones, and the sad inability of others to realize that means that I'm basically stuck with steelseries.

May 14, 2018
Suspension bands aren't for everyone. Glasses wearers have complained about SteelSeries pulling up in their glasses.

I've tried the Alpha but ended up going with the Cloud II and Revolver S for the virtual surround sound. If you needed to replace a broken Cloud II and you had the USB soundcard then an Alpha might be a good option.

May 15, 2018
Not that sure why would anyone picked this over AVC500.
Sure they do not have mic, but Cloud Alphas mic is garbage and sound quality on AVC is so much higher.

May 15, 2018
Studio headsets are the place to go if you want the best sound. Hearing footsteps.

Gaming headsets are garbage for sounds and mics. Seinheiser made a good gaming headset but its very expensive...

I am using a studio headset that I bought for 100.00$ and a 15.00 mic... the sound on the headsets with a DAC amp (Fio) (Digital to audio converter, amplifier)

You get way better sounds with a headset and dac. Gaming headsets are just a rip off.

Status
Not open for further replies.